Choc Chip Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackhorse

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading that Choc Chip Starfish can kill snails and small fish. Since I have both in my aquarium would it be a good idea to return the Starfish to my LFS. I asked the guy at my LFS about this specifically and he said the only thing I have to worry about is other fish attacking the starfish. I don't want to have to keep replacing my cleaning crew.

I dont think they will go after crabs or fish unless the fish is sick . Snails OTOH may be ... if this is for a reef tank then you will need to def need to get rid of the CC star as they ae not reef safe .

Like most stars...the CC is an opportunistic feeder. It is very possible it will eat whatever it gets on top of. While they do actively "hunt" like a preditor, they will certainly eat whatever meals come their way. CC are also climbers. They tend to move over the rockwork in a tank and cause rock slides if your LR is not stable. Personally, I would get rid of it.

I`m assuming since this is in the FOWLR forum then you wont be having any corals. We are OK there but I`ve never had mine go after crabs or snails. I`m sure though that anything is possible.

just to add my experience with a CC, I had a number of snails and fish in my tank. I also had a lobster and I found the CC eating most things in my tank. I turned the light on one morning and the CC had the lobster on it's back eating it's tail. I'll never get another one. Just my $0.02.

-Bryan

Back
Top Bottom