Choices for stocking my tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright I think this is what I have decided on:

4 - Panda Cories
6 - Glofish
6 - Harlequin Rasboras
20 - Red Cherry Shrimp

Then after everything gets settled two German Blue Rams.

Now, go ahead and tear apart my plan. :D

I think that actually sounds like a pretty good plan. I would call that fully stocked(or maybe a bit overstocked), but I would do 5 or 6 panda corys. They can work in smaller groups, but they really seem to do best in 5 plus IMO.

That sounds a bit overstocked to me. What are the dimensions of the tank? I would probably only add one GBR, or else get rid of the glofish, and add a couple of rasboras.

Also, I would skip the red cherry shrimp. You'll already have the corys and the ram near the bottom of the tank, I don't think 20 would be necessary. Maybe just 5 or 10.

Also, I would get 5 corys.

Alright I think this is what I have decided on:

4 - Panda Cories
6 - Glofish
6 - Harlequin Rasboras
20 - Red Cherry Shrimp

Then after everything gets settled two German Blue Rams.

Now, go ahead and tear apart my plan. :D

I had a similar stock plan in mind a while back I was advised by members with experience with rams not to mix them with super hyper active fish like the Glo-fish/danios. Panda cories really thrive in a shaol of 6 or more, so I would add 2 more. :)

Also IMO danios are suitable for a 20 only if it's a 20 long, and then they need to be given the top half the tank to themselves. I have them full grown in my 29, and can't imagine them being able to thrive in a 20 high...it's just too short for them.

Okay well here is what I ended up getting:

2 Panda Cories
3 Orange laser Cories
6 Harlequin Rasbora
6 Neon Tetra
10 Ghost shrimp

They all seem to be having a ball. The HR are zooming all over the place hanging in a tight school. The GS are basically just hiding in every nook and cranny. The NT seem to really like the bubble stream coming from the sponge filter. They are swimming in a school and occasionally breaking up and then coming back together. The OLC are hang tight together occasionally joined by the PC.

Just been watching them all zoom around. :popcorn: Those cories are really fast when they decide to go get something off the water surface, like lightning.

The fish place was out of glofish so I got the tetras instead and the
I was going to get Julli Cories but the only tank of them they had, had two dead ones and the others didn't look good. I pointed it out and the guy said "you don't anything from this tank, that is bad" So went with the others.

I know you all think this is overstocked but some of these will get moved to the 55g tank when it is ready. For now they seem happy as can be.

I have had good luck with red Platys and the gourmia!

zparticle said:

2 Panda Cories
3 Orange laser Cories
6 Harlequin Rasbora
6 Neon Tetra
10 Ghost shrimp

They all seem to be having a ball. The HR are zooming all over the place hanging in a tight school. The GS are basically just hiding in every nook and cranny. The NT seem to really like the bubble stream coming from the sponge filter. They are swimming in a school and occasionally breaking up and then coming back together. The OLC are hang tight together occasionally joined by the PC.

Just been watching them all zoom around. :popcorn: Those cories are really fast when they decide to go get something off the water surface, like lightning.

I was going to get Julli Cories but the only tank of them they had, had two dead ones and the others didn't look good. I pointed it out and the guy said "you don't anything from this tank, that is bad" So went with the others.

I know you all think this is overstocked but some of these will get moved to the 55g tank when it is ready. For now they seem happy as can be.

How big of a tank is it again?

2 Panda Cories
3 Orange laser Cories
6 Harlequin Rasbora
6 Neon Tetra
10 Ghost shrimp

The only probs I see with that is that orange lasers will get much too big for a 20 but if you plan on moving them out to a 55 before they hit full size, then that's just fine. Also the panda's really do best in a group 6. Even in a group of 4 they aren't quite themselves. I would get more if you can :)

Also, I just realized, you added all those at once? Wow..that's alot. Make sure you are testing your parameters daily..you might end up in a mini cycle. Adding 18 fish all at once to a 20 gal tank is a recipe for disaster unless it has a very strong bio-filter built up already.

I'm nervous about the development of this particular bio-filter in general, not even considering how heavily it was stocked. Please continue to test daily for the foreseeable future. I've already said my piece about this in your other threads...so I'll leave it alone now.

Also, I just realized, you added all those at once? Wow..that's alot. Make sure you are testing your parameters daily..you might end up in a mini cycle. Adding 18 fish all at once to a 20 gal tank is a recipe for disaster unless it has a very strong bio-filter built up already.

Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed. :)

Well that and a combination of daily water tests would be best ;)

Looks nice! Cool find on those orange lasers..I still don't see those for sale very often.

1> Post a video to youtube, type text in a reply on this site, highlight the text, click the link button (Earth with a chain link), enter video URL.
2> Yes

Number one how did you do the link thing number two is that gravel bc that is a no no with corys
I keep cories on a smooth natural looking gravel that's fine. I've found most gravel is OK...but there are some too jagged and sharp.

Back
Top Bottom