Choosing a pleco or catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otis Powell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I’m looking to add either a catfish or fancy pleco to my African Cichlid set up

First question will they be okay with the aggression from the cichlids they are peacocks and seem fairly peaceful currently

Second question I absolutely love the zebra pleco I know there fairly costly around £150 from my research would he be a viable option as if so I think I am gonna take the plunge I just wanna check that I’m not throwing away £150

Thanks in advance

Several different varieties of Synodontis catfish do well with Africans. I've kept, Bristlenose, Dull Eyed Royal and Gold Nugget Plecos successfully with Africans. Tiger Botia Loaches and Botia Modestas also do well.

Several different varieties of Synodontis catfish do well with Africans. I've kept, Bristlenose, Dull Eyed Royal and Gold Nugget Plecos successfully with Africans. Tiger Botia Loaches and Botia Modestas also do well.

Is it possible/sensible to run a tank with both a pleco and loaches as I currently have 3 very happy yo-yo loaches

I have 2 super red BN in with my 11 clown loaches no problems for years now.
I would not add a zebra to African tank although the color mix would be amazing.
The zebras prefer discus like water parameters which are on the opposite end of the scale to Africans..Not to mention some Africans [Mbuna in particular] may not be nice to the zebra and that would be a huge waste and tragedy IMO...
The zebra and Africans are two totally different classes of fish..
It would be like adding ginger ale to champagne not sangria !...
Just seemingly not appropriate..
Like most with Africans you are going to find stocking compatibility is pretty limited.

Back
Top Bottom