Choosing from multiple stocking choices for 29 high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharpchick

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In a couple of weeks, I am going to have an empty, fully cycled planted 29 gallon tank.

I've been using it for a goldfish tank, but the goldfish will be moving out to the pond.

I currently am running three filters on it, and will remove one of them that's on the decline. So I'll have a Tetra Whister EX45, and a Hydro Sponge Pro 3. (I run sponge filters on all my tanks 10 gallons or larger for the extra biological filtration and so I can connect them to battery powered air pumps in case of power failure. I'll add the media from the Top Fin 30 that I'll remove to the Whisper filter.)

The tank has driftwood, 5 or 6 different anubias, crypts, swords, java fern and hygrophila in it, and I intend to add some stems (probably cabomba and some sort of ludwigia) as well as a couple of more crypts.

I've been making lists of stocking ideas. I prefer peaceful community tanks. Years ago, I had a 55 gallon African cichlid tank, and those highly active fish just stressed me out. I prefer to buy fish by observing them in person rather than getting them in the mail, so that will limit my stocking choices.

Here's what I've considered:

10 zebra danios
10 harlequin rasboras
10 neon tetras
what for the bottom?

OR

10 Black skirt tetras
10 zebra danios
6 hatchetfish (a little concerned about stocking these, as I use a glass versa top on this tank, and the plastic strip on the back has a very wide gap for my mechanicals. I think it might be courting some carpet surfing if the fish got startled.)

OR

12 harlequin rasboras
8 cardinal tetras
1 honey gourami

OR

8 each, danios
8 cherry barbs
8 cories

OR

1 angelfish (added last - and concerned this fish would outgrow the tank eventually even though it's a tall tank)
8 black skirt tetras
12 ghost shrimp

Your thoughts? The fish need to be easily obtained in the central Arkansas area.

You can't go wrong with a shoal of tetras. Also why ghost shrimp? For the same price you can get say cherry shrimp, much prettier. Breed like rabbits.

You can't go wrong with a shoal of tetras. Also why ghost shrimp? For the same price you can get say cherry shrimp, much prettier. Breed like rabbits.

Because cherry shrimp are half the size of ghost shrimp. I'd actually prefer cherry shrimp, but I figured they might be targeted for snacks.

Do you think the black skirt tetras would leave them alone?

In my opinion you can't go wrong with cories. I love my little guys! If you like pleco's you could try for a bristlenose pleco, but ONLY bristlenoses.

I like the honey gourami option. If you wanted a pleco there are other options other than just a BNP that stay around 4 inches.

I would go with option 3. I've got a group of rasboras in my tank and they're really nice to see move around

I had a dwarf gourami pretty shy but very fun and interesting to watch. He developed a possible case of dgiv after a few months in my tank. Honey gouramis aren't the same spp I believe so there wouldn't be a concern there.

I vote three.

I like the honey gourami option. If you wanted a pleco there are other options other than just a BNP that stay around 4 inches.

What other options are there? I'm curious about other smaller species of pleco's!

I love cories, too. I have six in my planted 20 long.

And rasboras as well.

It's looking like a general consensus on stocking plan 3...

I still have a couple of weeks, but I think that's probably my best and most colorful option against all the green plants in the tank. Plenty of hiding out places for everyone.

So would you guys start with adding the rasboras or the tetras first?

Clown plecos, rubber lip plecos, there are several other. I think rangerii and pit bull plecos stay small but dont exactly remember.
Heres an interesting list, some of the sizes may be off by an inch or so:
Choosing the Right Pleco

I've looked around at my local choices for plecos here.

Everyone has common plecos.

And that's it.

Back
Top Bottom