Choosing the right size tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herbshirt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,

As the title suggests, I'm in the *very* early stages.

I kept fish as a kid. I recently visited a mates place who has a huge tank. It sparked my interest, but due to time constraints I began looking at smaller options such as the Fluval Edge.

My partner really wants something much bigger. The Juwel Vision 260 (litre) caught my eye. I've been deliberating ever since. I'm not sure I have the time to maintain it, let alone move it.

If I do a 30% change each week, maybe it won't take that much time to maintain. I've researched a lot this week, including speaking to aquarium store staff about types of fish, keeping them etc but I don't know what I don't know.

What haven't I thought of? Would the 260 be noisy? Does it cost a lot to run? Am I best to start out with the Edge?

Larger tanks are always recommended to starters, as they are easier to keep. It may cost more, but the outcome is worth it. Many more fish options, a beautiful tank, and just something to be proud of.

I can't help you much, but I can help you think of some colourful, easy to keep fish ideas. I personally would recommend rainbowfish, they are easily one of the most 'underdog' fish in the hobby. Not many people know about them and how beautiful some of the species are. The most commonly available ones are boesemani, neon dwarf, turquoise, lake Tebera, and red I'd say. Search up all of those to see how colourful they are. Some other really nice ones are parkinsoni, bleheri, and aru ii.

260 liters is a really great size to start off with. It's not too big so as to be overwhelming to care for, but not too small so as to be more unstable and more tempting to overstock.

As long as you don't do anything like a high-tech planted tank, it shouldn't cost very much at all to run your tank. Electricity use is surprisingly low and the only things you need to get continuously are food, water and water conditioner.

The first thing you oughta get, probably the most important purchase you could make for any fish tank, is an API freshwater master test kit. You'll need it to navigate the cycling process and to keep an eye on your aquarium health. That's my best piece of advice.

Hi, welcome to AA :)

In general I agree with your partner to go as big as possible (and then go up another size anyways) but all depends what you want to do.

A big tank is great and once set up they pretty much just hum along. They really can be a talking point and a tank the size of a TV is more interesting then well, the TV.

On the other hand you are limited to just that tank. Many here might keep several tanks, each with their own setup and fish types.

Thanks for your input guys. I'll keep looking at the options available in my area.

The aquascaping side interests me just as much if not more than the fish themselves. Guess I've got it all ahead of me... :)

Thanks for your input guys. I'll keep looking at the options available in my area.

The aquascaping side interests me just as much if not more than the fish themselves. Guess I've got it all ahead of me... :)

You will want to kill yourself aquascaping with the Edge. The access hole is not meant to always have your hands in the tank.

haha, yes I can imagine.

Hence I've moved on from that idea. I've since found a 3ft CADE tank which I think will suit my purpose nicely.

Hi Herbshirt, most fish keepers first tank is too small as they think less water is easier to handle. Quite the opposite, less water is harder to keep stable. A 3 foot tank is good but if you have room for 200-250 litre tank then I'd opt for that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

(Can't do the math ... Litres ... Liters ... Litres are like quarts, but there's that British "re" ... Quarts ... quartres ... Quarters ... Aha! 200 liters is like fifty dollars!!)

Ahem.

29 gallon is a really common recommended minimum for a first tank. I have 3, 10, had a 29, now have a 56 ... 29 was the smallest that was really stable.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

(Can't do the math ... Litres ... Liters ... Litres are like quarts, but there's that British "re" ... Quarts ... quartres ... Quarters ... Aha! 200 liters is like fifty dollars!!)

Ahem.

29 gallon is a really common recommended minimum for a first tank. I have 3, 10, had a 29, now have a 56 ... 29 was the smallest that was really stable.

Lol lol. I don't know how people don't work in a metric system.

Surprisingly my father knew the formula to convert F to C degrees. Who knew.

A lot of Canadians use both systems. I use gallons when talking about aquariums. But milk jugs are 4 litres. Windshield liquid jugs at a gallon each.

Temps are in C, but we heat our oven in F.

I use litres on the forum because US and Imperial gallons are not the same, even though they both have 8 pints. Confusing ?.

I use litres on the forum because US and Imperial gallons are not the same, even though they both have 8 pints. Confusing ?.

Ok so all I need to know is, whose pint of beer is bigger??

I should be multilingual, I spend my days selling countertops that are 26" x 48" x 3cm.

Seriously though I think unless we are talking about tiny tanks or really large tanks, we can all get it about right. It sounds to me like a tank somewhere a little less than 120 Litres is a great minimum size for a starter.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Well, we're getting closer to a decision. My partner is onboard now, I mean, really onboard. She wanted BIG, so we compromised at a CADE CB1200 (120cm x 60cm x 60cm).

We're going for a Community, Planted setup. Likely Maxspect Razors for lighting.

The only area I'm a bit stuck is the canister filter. It seems the Fluval fx6 is popular, and since we're outlaying a fair bit on a nice tank, it's probably worth going all the way but what's the difference if I get something cheaper? I've seen the likes of Unimax 500 for a fraction of the price of the Fluval.

Back
Top Bottom