Christmas Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cheeky_monkey

Aquarium Advice Freak
What a wonderful Christmas present.

I woke to find a skinny fish and lots of tiny fry. Merry Christmas to me! And congratulations to Gwen my creamsicle Molly.

Thanks! She is still young and its her first batch. I could only find 10 and 9 are perfect, 1 deformed.
The dad is my gorgeous green sailfin.
Such a beautiful Christmas morning and my kids are so excited.

I've tried to take some photos but they are in a mesh breeder at the moment until mum has rested enough to go in with the adults again. I can't get a good enough photo through the net.

cheeky_monkey said:
I've tried to take some photos but they are in a mesh breeder at the moment until mum has rested enough to go in with the adults again. I can't get a good enough photo through the net.

Oh ok I got ya

Well we are up to 14 fry now they keep appearing out of the gravel substrate.

For her first batch I think she did quite well!

I have my large male green sailfin, a female creamsicle, a sunset Orange female and a month old baby Orange female plus the new fry.

Congrats!!
My 15 wk old "baby" had her first batch at 11 wks and she's close to dropping her 2nd.. Can't imagine she had many cause she's only 1 1/2" ... So cute! And on Christmas.. That's sweet :)

Yeah she's only tiny especially compared to my large green sailfin male.

Any ideas on how long a break I should give her before putting her back in with him and the other female? I was thinking I'd give her at least a week break.

cheeky_monkey said:
Yeah she's only tiny especially compared to my large green sailfin male.

Any ideas on how long a break I should give her before putting her back in with him and the other female? I was thinking I'd give her at least a week break.

Well I put her back same day... I either let her give birth in main tank and move fry or move mom to 10g birthing and remove her after I no longer see new fry...
Did you say you have her in a breeder box? That would stress her more being ok there longer than necessary...

No no she isn't in the breeder any more she was only in there for about 6 hours while I searched for fry. I've now got the fry in the breeder and Mum is out in the tank. I just wanted to give her a break from being pregnant or mating for a week or so before I reintroduce her to main tank again and let the fry have the tank to themselves.

cheeky_monkey said:
No no she isn't in the breeder any more she was only in there for about 6 hours while I searched for fry. I've now got the fry in the breeder and Mum is out in the tank. I just wanted to give her a break from being pregnant or mating for a week or so before I reintroduce her to main tank again and let the fry have the tank to themselves.

Makes sense..... Some parents eat the fry... Some of mine do, some don't...
Good luck... Fry are so much fun :)

All 3 of my adults are fry eaters, only one survived from the first batch from my orange girl. They are all doing great so far, can't wait to see their colourings.

cheeky_monkey said:
All 3 of my adults are fry eaters, only one survived from the first batch from my orange girl. They are all doing great so far, can't wait to see their colourings.

LOVE it!
One of my babies in one of of my batches of Creamsicles is starting to show black smudges on her tail... She can thank Daddy Dalmatian for that one... :)
To my surprise ive also noticed a few of my Silver babies have a pencil thin black line outlining their top fin.... Thank Daddy Dalmatian there too... Haha
A few of my Creamsicle Lyretail babies/Juvie's are growing quite a brilliant lyretail...

How long did it take them to show their colourings? They sound beautiful.

My lone fry from the first was looking quite orange at first but as she gets bigger she is getting more black to her. (Her mum was pregnant when I got her, I have no other males just the green sailfin)

Back
Top Bottom