Christmas Moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batesy82

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a chunk of Christmas moss that is growing like crazy, but it hasn't attached itself to the driftwood I have it secured too. It's been about a month and the moss has more than tripled in size. I have used thumbtacks to secure it. Any advice? Will it attach or will I just have to let it overgrow the tacks?

I like to use fishing line. It is almost invisible, and the moss overtakes it quite quickly. It takes a long time for moss to attach itself to surfaces, and with some very hardwood driftwood, it may not attach much at all...

fort384 said:
I like to use fishing line. It is almost invisible, and the moss overtakes it quite quickly. It takes a long time for moss to attach itself to surfaces, and with some very hardwood driftwood, it may not attach much at all...

I was planning that from the start until I realized how awkward a spot I chose for the moss. I gave up after about a dozen tries lol. Maybe I should attempt again now that the moss is bigger.

Actually, would this apply to java fern too? I bought one at the same time as the moss, it's growing steadily and the roots are crazy long but it doesn't look like it's attached either.

My experience with java fern is it will more readily attach itself than moss, but it may take more time... especially if it is a hard wood.

A small drill bit makes those inconvenient places on driftwood easy to tie to. Java fern, anubias, and mosses all use the same principal... tie it down and wait. But, anubias probably attaches quicker. A hair net is a good way to get mosses to cover bigger areas, just takes a little time to cover up the net.

If I tie some Java moss to a piece of granite, it feels rough but no holes, it will a hard time attaching itself?

mfdrookie516 said:
A small drill bit makes those inconvenient places on driftwood easy to tie to. Java fern, anubias, and mosses all use the same principal... tie it down and wait. But, anubias probably attaches quicker. A hair net is a good way to get mosses to cover bigger areas, just takes a little time to cover up the net.

The DW is already submerged, but that's a great idea otherwise!

Back
Top Bottom