Chromis Aggression

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had 2 chromises for about a month and a half and all was going well. Within the past week or two, the bigger of the two has been darting at and nipping at the smaller one. I asked my LFS lady who is also a marine biologist and she said that adding a third usually helps settle down aggression. So I picked up a third one and now both the chromises are reported to have been picking on the new one. I have not seen it yet becuase I have not been home long enough to watch them throughly but what can be done about this situation??? I have a 7 gallon tote I use as a quarantine but it is not set up anymore as I tore it down yesterday (I realize I should have left the QT up for another day or two just in case but I wasn't thinking)

What size tank do you have? Each new fish that you purchase should be QT'ed for at least two weeks. Not only to watch for diseases but also so that you know that it is eating properly and it gets used to your water.

Its a 29g tank with an approximatly 1.5 g HOB sump/refigum. I did QT it for the two weeks but added it yesterday. The new fish eats fine and is hardy enough but my girlfriend says it looks like it is being picked on.

When you add fish staggered this is going to happen, if you added all three at once, it might be different.

Rearranging your rock and going dark for a day or two might sort out and territory aggression. Chromis are related to damsels, so the bigger they get the meaner, something to watch out for.

HTH

Ok thanks Jimbo. I will rearrange my rocks in the dark and see how they are after a day of darkness.

I agree with moving the rocks around and cutting off the lights but remember we are talking about chromis otherwise known as glorified damsels. They are prone to pick at each other. Another thing to remember is that your LFS person might be a marine biologist but she`s also a salesperson. There to make a sale.

I'll keep that in mind Mike! I just assume that people will do what is right for a helpless animal before they will pad their wallet...

Back
Top Bottom