Chronic internal parasites & I'm at my wit's end - suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Over the last few years, any time I add new fish to my tank it seems like I also end up treating for internal parasites, and ultimately loosing a few of my cichlids (angel fish and rams). This happens even after keeping the new fish in QT for several weeks until everybody looks healthy and has been eating well. Right now I have an angelfish and Bolivian ram who are listless and either spitting out food or ignoring it completely. The rest of my fish (tetras, gourami, barbs, cory cats, and a BN pleco) seem to be doing great.

For the first week I treated with Tetra's Parasite Guard and this week I'm using PraziPro, both following the directions on the bottle. I've tried Seachem's ParaGuard before but never had much luck.

The tank has been established for 5+ years and parameters are all in good shape - 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrate < 30ppm, and temp around 77F.

First, can anybody recommend any other treatments which might help?

Second, is there anything I can do to stop this down the road? I know it's inevitable to get fish with some problems but since this seems to be a chronic issue, I'm thinking something has to be wrong with the tank.

Thanks in advance

All of the new fish have been purchased at nearby chain pet stores, either PetSmart or Jack's. The only LFS that I know of has a rather lousy reputation, sick fish, and ridiculous prices.

Unfortunately the chain stores are most likely your problem....I have made that mistake in the past especially with bolivian rams from Pet Smart they always seem to have internal parasites...I am lucky enough to have a great LFS about 1/2 hour from my house so I never buy from chains anymore! Other wise maybe order online...the delivery charge can be expensive though!...might be worth it if you get a list of all the fish you want and order all together because it is usually one flat $30 shipping rate no matter how many fish...Unfortunately as you know there is never a guarantee that fish is disease and parasite free but most LFS/online Providers seem to care more about the fish and the customers tanks (especially if the owner is there hands on) than at Pet Chain thats is just a money factory with allot of times inexperienced employees to care for the fish. Good luck hope this helps! Like I said I have been there....so frustrating! I feel your pain..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did the tetra parasite guard list the ingredient percentages? Thought that would of helped. Do they poop at all and how does that look?

Did the tetra parasite guard list the ingredient percentages? Thought that would of helped. Do they poop at all and how does that look?

The Parasite Guard is usually my go-to treatment when this happens, but I don't know if they've become resistant to it or may PG only treats some types of internal parasites. Haven't seen any poo in well over a week, and before that it was the standard stringy white feces that goes along with internal parasites. :(

I'm thinking of trying a more concentrated form of metronidazole - has anybody had any luck with Zole?

I have made that mistake in the past especially with bolivian rams from Pet Smart they always seem to have internal parasites.

Do you have any idea why it seems like cichlids are more prone to this than other species? I have some cory cats and black skirt tetras that have been with me for 5+ years but I'm lucky if I can keep angelfish around for more than 2. Some days it's hard to not feel like a bad fish-keeper. . .

Angelfish can be tricky, especially if they are imports from Asia. Same is true of guppies. A friend who works at the local BA's tells me they have less trouble with wild caught angels than with the Asian imports.
You might want to consider larger or more frequent water changes.Try and get the nitrates below 10.

Angelfish can be tricky, especially if they are imports from Asia. Same is true of guppies. A friend who works at the local BA's tells me they have less trouble with wild caught angels than with the Asian imports.

Any similar issues with rams, either Bolivian or German Blues? Also, do you think the Fish Zole would help?

Have you tried Epsom salts? That may help get things moving again at least.

I ordered some metronidazole but until then, thank you for the reminder about epsom salts - I'd totally forgotten that's why I had it! For dosage, do you think 1 Tbsp / 5 gallons would be ok?

You could try a epsom salt bath of 1 tablespoon to a gallon for up to say 20 minutes or too stressed or poop released.

oh my gosh I've been fighting this battle with my angels too! I've been feeling so discouraged. I keep up with good water changes and all my water parameters are great. It's like you said all my other fish are fine. Just the angels seem to be affected by it. I was able to get one better using API general cure a few months ago. My current angel that is sick is not responding to any treatments and its been about 2 weeks since she ate. I think I will try metronidazole and epsom salt as well.

oh my gosh I've been fighting this battle with my angels too! I've been feeling so discouraged. I keep up with good water changes and all my water parameters are great. It's like you said all my other fish are fine. Just the angels seem to be affected by it. I was able to get one better using API general cure a few months ago. My current angel that is sick is not responding to any treatments and its been about 2 weeks since she ate. I think I will try metronidazole and epsom salt as well.

Good luck! Going through this a few times a year, I'd almost started thinking about getting rid of the tank altogether :banghead:. Since my problem just seems to be cichilids, (and like you, mostly with the angels) now I'm leaning towards making it a collection of different schooling fish, and gourami because those little guys are awesome.

You could try a epsom salt bath of 1 tablespoon to a gallon for up to say 20 minutes or too stressed or poop released.

Thank you for the suggestion, think I will definitely try this, both as a bath for the angel and adding a bit to the whole tank. Do you know of any reason not to combine this with the metronidazole? A quick search online looks like it should be safe but wanted another opinion.

:thanks:

I'll have to look into this myself. Off hand I can't think of any reason they would create a problem if combined.

As a bath I think metro would be wasted as the Epsom salts are purging the fish and metro works best as a medicated food to get it into the fish as it isn't readily absorbed by fish.

Sorry, I'd meant that the bath would just be epsom salts, but for the main tank I'd try both. About to go dig up the salts now, I'll report back on whether the bath seems to help.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom