Cichids in a community tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
Starting to think about the Bolivian Rams as my pair of fish in the 25. Were these the ones that are hard to keep alive? It would really suck. I think they would make a great addition. Also worried about compatibility with cories, platies and/or swordtails...

I know we have discussed the AqAdvisor, but I went and used it to see what it would say. Here is my stock list atm. I wold like opinions if possible on compatibilities, behaviors or if this is overstocked. thanks :)

Attachments

• AquStockImage.png
    AquStockImage.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 56
Everyone will get a long. But it is a tad overstocked. Swordtails get big 3-4 inches. Also the swords and platies will breed like crazy.

That is the biggest thing that worries me .... I wouldn't mind them breeding if I could put the fry somewhere. I will probably end up with one or the other then, or maybe even something else again lol

Lol nice. Yay! I get to have some cichlids after all :D Now the horrible part of waiting for this tank to cycle. Gives me time to plant it.

Bolivians are much hardier than German rams. One reason is that german rams are more colorful and more popular, so they are overbred, and given hormones that weaken the stock.

I will edit this post in 2 minutes with very helpful Bolivian Ram information I got once.

Edit:
Dizzcat said:
Thanks for the feed back! It is a bit depressing when I offer so much advice and time only to have my posts ignored :cry:

I have a few remixes I put together. I wish I could do that on You-tube because I can't get a Photo-bucket video to embed in any forums. I have a video program I need to sit and mess with one day soon.

Here are a couple I have done.

This is my Bolivian Ram making a family video. Its kind of long. It starts with the pair flirting, then the spawn, wigglers, and follows the fry as they grow.
Ram Vids :: Ram Family remix by dizzcat45 - Photobucket

This one is the fry as they grow. It too is a tad long. I am going to be making a shorter version soon. This is my favorite, its so cute!
May Spawn 2009 :: Best Remix Free Swimmers remix by dizzcat45 - Photobucket

In this one they are almost 2 months old. Its short but sweet!
May Spawn 2009 :: Kids at 2 months remix by dizzcat45 - Photobucket

These are much shorter.

This one is my male Greshakei digging out a spot to spawn in. Look at him dumping sand all over!
Ice Blue Metriaclima greshakei :: Chewy Digs remix by dizzcat45 - Photobucket

This is my Egg Tumbler video. I stripped the eggs from my Red Zebra Mbuna after she had held for 6 days and raised them in a tumbler. It shows from newly hatched to free swimming. We never get to see that because the mom holds them the entire time.
Tumbler Remix :: Egg Tumbler remix by dizzcat45 - Photobucket

And this one is just a cool slide show of my tanks and inhabitants. I made it for a web site I am working on.
Tank Slideshow :: Site Remix remix by dizzcat45 - Photobucket

Please let me know what you all think! Feed back will be wonderful!
Thanks. :razz:

This was quoted in my thread where I considered keeping Bolivian Rams. Unfortunately that tank crashed and burned (I think now I overdid the fish food in cycling, and too much decomposition lead to very poor oxygen levels and probably poor water quality... plus at least some fish died of aggression) and then I ran out of money before I could actually stock them. But here is the thread, you may find it helpful: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/blank-slate-30g-long-119117.html

Also I will PM you a link to a massive Bolivian Ram resource.

Well taylor i tried to give you some more rep points but i guess i cant just keep loading it on lol. I am glad to hear that the bolivians are hardier, because I am already nervous about making sure the water is good for them . I did a water change in my 10G today and the water is crystal clear, it is amazing how much that did. Unfortunately my ammonia is still at 4ppm. Might be dropping a little. Nitrites are finally starting to show up, at .5 and I still have nitrates. Didn't have any nitrates in my tap water though. I believe they were at 10ppm ... Not too much longer. Thing that sucks now is that I want to put fish in the 25 first! lol

Well if you have all 3 that is good news. The bacteria colonies can double in 24 hours so within the week you SHOULD have a fully cycled tank, of course test to be sure :D

Since you do have all 3 readings, you can seed your other tanks to speed up their cycles as well.

So I know we have discussed the AQ Advisor thing, but as I mentioned I double check here before making any decisions. Well i put in bandit cories, panda cories and the bolivian rams and it suggested that there may be territorial issues later on? What is everyone's thoughts on this? Cories seem pretty peaceful and I am definitely getting them, but I really want to get the rams as well and I believe they sit closer to the bottom too.

Back
Top Bottom