Cichlid choice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deano320

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon tank, gravel substrate with live plants, 1 large piece of driftwood and a few large stones!! Tank dimensions are (101 × 40 × 50cm)

Stock atm:
1 × Anglefish
1 x Golden Guarami
5 x rummynose
5 x Peppered corys
5 x otos
7 x Harlequin barbs

Plants atm:
1 x Anubias
2 x Amazon swords
2 x Crypts
3 x Lilaeopsis

Parameters:
Ph - 7/7.5
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrites - 0ppm
Nitrates - 5-10ppm

The question is ive seen a few nice cichlids at my pet shop but dont know which one would be best suited for my tank!!

Here is the few ive seen:
- Ellioti
- Keyhole
- Firemouth
- Acara

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G901F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's best to keep almost all cichlids with only cichlids.

Look at these for a community tank like yours.

German Blue Ram
Bolivian Ram

They are a much less aggressive cichlid and have very pretty colors.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs
~45g ick problems/loach and 5 tetras left.
~75g going to be African cichlids

And a side note most of the more popular cichlids like the ones you listed will eat your live plants up :)

I'm sure the experts will be here eventually to add more to the "not very aggressive" list

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

The Cleithracara maronii ( Keyhole ) Would fit right in that setup. Peaceful and really wont dig or bother the plants

And a side note most of the more popular cichlids like the ones you listed will eat your live plants up :)

I'm sure the experts will be here eventually to add more to the "not very aggressive" list

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

It's best to keep almost all cichlids with only cichlids.

Look at these for a community tank like yours.

German Blue Ram
Bolivian Ram

They are a much less aggressive cichlid and have very pretty colors.

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

I'm sorry, but basically none of this is true

I've seen firemouths (several species of Thorichthys actually, like the regular firemouth, meeki, and Elliot, macullipinis) with live plants.

Cleithracara maronii do awesome with plants. I'd 100% recommend these for this setup

Acara is a broad term that covers species within aequidens, andinoacara, krobia, etc. Many acara species do just fine with plants. I'd assume the acara you're referring to is the blue acara, aequidens pulcher, which can live in a planted tank, but I wouldn't add one with your current stock.

I keep my uaru cichlids with 24 lemon tetras and 13 sterbai Cory cat. Those aren't cichlids and I have no problems. South American cichlids *typically* do better with non-cichlids (obviously there are exceptions, such as Oscar, peacock bass, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm sorry, but basically none of this is true

I've seen firemouths (several species of Thorichthys actually, like the regular firemouth, meeki, and Elliot, macullipinis) with live plants.

Cleithracara maronii do awesome with plants. I'd 100% recommend these for this setup

Acara is a broad term that covers species within aequidens, andinoacara, krobia, etc. Many acara species do just fine with plants. I'd assume the acara you're referring to is the blue acara, aequidens pulcher, which can live in a planted tank, but I wouldn't add one with your current stock.

I keep my uaru cichlids with 24 lemon tetras and 13 sterbai Cory cat. Those aren't cichlids and I have no problems. South American cichlids *typically* do better with non-cichlids (obviously there are exceptions, such as Oscar, peacock bass, etc.).

Well I guess I am mistaken! I'll have to go brush up on my research. My apologies I stand corrected. But one thing I did use the word "most" I didn't say all. I knew there are some exceptions. Such as the ones you and mike listed

Caleb

~10g tiger barbs

Keyhole is the safest, but nobdy mentioned rainbow cichlids. They are usually pretty gentle and good with plants from what ive heard.
Incidently, ive heard of some angels eating oto.

Would it be best to keep 1 keyhole or get a pair??

Was down at my petshop today and lucky enough they gad lovely little juvenile keyhole cichlids in stock, i purchased 2! They seem to be settling well into the tank already but what im not sure about is there sex! Is there anyway i could tell weather they are male or female? :)

Keyholes do best in a pair, no matter the sex generally, although m/f or f/f work best. They are very difficult to sex at a young age

Back
Top Bottom