Cichlid compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat1103

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the middle of fishless Cycling my 55 gallon and want to start a cichlid tank. I would love to get some yellow labs. How many is a good number? And what other cichlids would make good tank mates? Any suggestions on male/female ratio or could i have all males? I have found many mixed reviews on google and was hoping to get better advice. Thanks

Good rule of thumb for Mbuna (which is what I suggest for stocking) is 3 or 4 females to 1 male. It will keep the aggression down. As for species, a good mix of colors is nice. I started with Acei, yellow labs, red zebra, cobalt blue zebra, albino zebra and OB (orange blotch) zebras. It is a nice mix of colors and they all got along. You could stock about 25 or so in a 55G for the first year or so. Then you would probably have to upgrade or rehome a few.

I would plan on 15. Personally, I think acei do better in longer tanks. They'll be fine in a 4' tank, but they really like to swim. I would do 1 male and 4 females... and pick 3 fish. Rusty's, yellow labs, red zebras, greshakei... there are tons of options. The ones listed here and by spoonman are more mild mannered. I'd stay away from melanchromis species, kenyi, bumblebees, and definitely haps of any kind. Would be best to stick strictly to mbuna.

thanks for the advice :) . I was thinking of sticking to only 3-4 types and most likely mbuna, so u read my mind! I also wanted some blue fish as well. I was thinking the colbalt blue or electric blue. I've heard those get along with yellow labs.

Colbalt are cool fish, if your talking about the electric blue i think your talking about its a hap something i would stay away from with having all mbuna. Also an Albino Greshakei would be worth looking into males have a brilliant blue tint to them when looking at them in the right light.

I have gotten fish off of Aquabid and have had great luck, i have heard lots of good reviews for liveaquaria.

does anyone happen to know is it easy for cichlids of different species to breed? I'm trying to avoid this, so I'm researching and looking for more advice of course :)

Back
Top Bottom