cichlid disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baybeegurl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 15 gallon tank and 9 cichlids about 2 inches long one of them disappeared we cant find him anywhere and he didnt come up to eat would the others have ate him? And if so...why?:confused:

have you removed/ shuffled all the plants and ornaments? double checked how many there are?
what is the missing fish, and what are the tankmates?
there is a chance its being bullied and is hiding, or possibly caught under something or on the side of the filter... sounds gross but its happened to me before

Welcome to AA! Most cichlids in a 15g won't work. I'd redo that stock. You'll probably find its hiding or caught between something.

I just saved a Tinfoil barb when I was at petsmart today, stuck on its side between a plant and a rock log. I freed it and the it swam away a bit then settled on the bottom. Poor thing most likely been there for hours or days.

Check your filter, I found a guppy in my aquaclear dead but all there except the tail, i have also found in the bottom shrimp still alive looking to get out of there.

I have looked everywhere i took all the plants out and looked in filter there is no body or anything... i have african cichlids and the one missing was a little smaller then the rest. We are preparing to set up a 55g tank for them i hope it helps the one that disappeared was my favorite :( would they eat each other if the tank was to small? The petstore has a 15g tank with more fish then we have and that tank has no plants or any hiding spots so im a bit confused.

baybeegurl said:
I have looked everywhere i took all the plants out and looked in filter there is no body or anything... i have african cichlids and the one missing was a little smaller then the rest. We are preparing to set up a 55g tank for them i hope it helps the one that disappeared was my favorite :( would they eat each other if the tank was to small? The petstore has a 15g tank with more fish then we have and that tank has no plants or any hiding spots so im a bit confused.
I'm assuming they are all pretty small? If it died then yes they would have ate it more then likely. But it could be hiding witch they are very good at aswell. They really need to be in the 55 as soon as possible

Last edited:
Yes they are only about two inches long im going to go get stuff for 55g thank you

You may want to try flushing out your filter tube. Sometimes I've had fish get stuck so deep in the filter that you couldn't see them just by looking into the mouth of the tube. This happened 3 months ago to my newly purchased sunset honey gourami. We couldn't find him for 2 days until my dad noticed the filter's water flow was restricted and decided to flush out the tube :/

Back
Top Bottom