Cichlid Flashing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MRW

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning I noticed one of my lemon drop cichlids rubbing itself on the gravel for about five minutes. So I turned up the heat to 80F, added five table spoons per gallon of AIP freshwater salt (so a little under 5). The tank is 29 gallon it has a two filters running one tetra whisper 30 and a
Eheim classic 2213 that I installed yesterday. I was wondering if there is anything else I should do?

You used 5 tablespoons per gallon? Are there any white spots on the fish, or anythiing noticeable that would make it scratch?

Sorry I meant 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. No white spots or any other discoloration. The fish has been in the tank for about 8 months. Last time I had the water checked was about a month ago and the guy said there was nothing wrong with it (I am still waiting for the API master test kit to arrive).

Some fish just need to scratch.

If it was my tank, I'd do at least 50% water change to get that salinity level reduced. Don't just toss salt into a tank without knowing what you're treating. Some fish cannot tolerate the salt at all.

Last time I had the water checked was about a month ago and the guy said there was nothing wrong with it.

If this guy was either using strips or had no clue what he was doing, or a sad combination of the two, you really have no idea what your water params are. Also, having them say "fine" is not the same as knowing your numbers. You need to get your reading done again and fine out what the actual numbers are.

I would start with water quality issues before addressing other possibilities. Flashing (rubbing on gravel, ornaments etc) is a sign of irritation. Although lfs generally use inaccurate strips, i would go & get your water checked until you can do this yourself. Ask the lfs what your specific numbers are rather than just relying on them saying your numbers are 'good'. What may appear as 'good' to them may in fact be causing a problem. How often do you do pwcs? Have you added any new fish recently?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom