Cichlid Identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksgriff88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys. First time poster but long time reader. I need some help identifying this fish. I got it from my LFS and was told it was an "unknown Hap". After talking more to the owner he said it might be a Fusco.

Looking at pictures online I can't tell for sure. Any help would be appreciated! (And no it's not the Brichardi in the bottom of the picture). ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421982079.508063.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421982090.660024.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421982104.891562.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not 100% but after a google search, looks like a fusco juvie to me too.

I highly doubt they are any type of tyrannochromis, there would be a good sized price tag associated with them.

The body is not wide enough to be a Protomelas species. This fish is a predator male based on the color starting amd the anal fin. The big spots below the dorsal are not common as shown on this fish and in the internet picture. This fish is common in the lake, just rarely exported. It could have been accidently mixed in a shipment. If a LFS does not what they have it will be cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The body is not wide enough to be a Protomelas species. This fish is a predator male based on the color starting amd the anal fin. The big spots below the dorsal are not common as shown on this fish and in the internet picture. This fish is common in the lake, just rarely exported. It could have been accidently mixed in a shipment. If a LFS does not what they have it will be cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That is a solid point, I couldn't zoom into the picture that far. Only time will tell.

Very interesting and definitely appreciate the feedback. I'll have to keep an eye on them and ask again when they start showing more colors.

Back
Top Bottom