Cichlid Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I was reading about different cichlid species and minimum tank size of a 55 gallon. First off just correct any of this if its wrong. Here is a list of fish mention that fit into a 55 gallon minimum by different sites.

Vieja bifasciata
Aequidens revulatus
Hypselecara temporalis
Cichlasoma portalgrense
Cichlasoma octofasciatum
Aequidens pulcher
Cichlasoma grammodes
Flowerhorn (no species)

Just correct any of these and add to the list if you want

Added a few of the species I often see for sale in this region.

Vieja bifasciata - No, 75 minimum
Aequidens rivulatus - Okay
Hypselecara temporalis - No, 75 minimum
Cichlasoma portalegrense - Okay
Cichlasoma octofasciatum, now Rocio octofasciata - Okay
Aequidens pulcher - Okay
'Cichlasoma' grammodes - 55 gallon is debatable
Amphilophus species - 75 gallon minimum
Parachromis dovii - 150 gallon minimum
Parachromis motaguense - 75 gallon minimum
Parachromis managuense - 75 gallon minimum
Parachromis loisellei - Okay
Parachromis friedrichsthali - 55 gallon is debatable
Vieja sysnspila - 75 gallon minimum
Vieja maculicauda - 75 gallon minimum
Astronotus ocellatus - 75 gallon minimum

Lotta this is gonna be based on opinion. Expect different answers from different people. :)

WYite

Added a few of the species I often see for sale in this region.

Vieja bifasciata - No, 75 minimum
Aequidens rivulatus - Okay
Hypselecara temporalis - No, 75 minimum
Cichlasoma portalegrense - Okay
Cichlasoma octofasciatum, now Rocio octofasciata - Okay
Aequidens pulcher - Okay
'Cichlasoma' grammodes - 55 gallon is debatable
Amphilophus species - 75 gallon minimum
Parachromis dovii - 150 gallon minimum
Parachromis motaguense - 75 gallon minimum
Parachromis managuense - 75 gallon minimum
Parachromis loisellei - Okay
Parachromis friedrichsthali - 55 gallon is debatable
Vieja sysnspila - 75 gallon minimum
Vieja maculicauda - 75 gallon minimum
Astronotus ocellatus - 75 gallon minimum

Lotta this is gonna be based on opinion. Expect different answers from different people. :)

WYite

Grammodes take a long time to grow. Some comment that they grow slower than bichirs. These fish don't typically grow 0.5" per month, so the 55g is good for a very long time (like years). You will see varying max growth on these fish from 8"-12".

Grammodes take a long time to grow. Some comment that they grow slower than bichirs. These fish don't typically grow 0.5" per month, so the 55g is good for a very long time (like years). You will see varying max growth on these fish from 8"-12".

Thanks, I didn't realize they grew that slow. The 8"-12" is why I said "debatable", same as with the freddies. Some people will say "yeah, it's okay," and others will say "absolutely not!".

Know a lotta people that insist JDs demand a 75 gallon as a minimum. Even though a 12" fish is the exception and not the rule with this species

WYite.

Thanks for the info. I knew grammodes are slow growers and Parachromis loisellei remind me of little Jags. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Parachromis friedrichsthalii called Yellow Heads? Also I see that Yellow Heads grow much smaller in an aquarium compared to wild.

Yellow Jacket cichlid aka Friedrichsthalii. Be careful when buying this since some fish stores confuse it with a loiselli.

rocksor said:
Yellow Jacket cichlid aka Friedrichsthalii. Be careful when buying this since some fish stores confuse it with a loiselli.

I see that mostly with red devils and midas. But looking at both fish I can see why. I personally like how the Friedrichsthalii looks.

I see that mostly with red devils and midas. But looking at both fish I can see why. I personally like how the Friedrichsthalii looks.

Many, if not most, aquarium strains of red devil have some midas cichlid in their heritage somewhere, and vice versa. The two hybridize very easily and at one time were considered the same species. I doubt that there is a captive-raised RD or midas that is completely 100% pure, unless it's an F1 or F2 whose parentage is specifically known.

WYite

Sorry, question from last post, not original post -- edited so as not to hi jack thread.

Attachments

• image-70812917.jpg
    image-70812917.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image-1443220809.jpg
    image-1443220809.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 83

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom