Cichlid tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralphie126

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm planning to get a 55g tank and convict cichlids..., how many breeding pairs can go in their?....... Also maybe my red tailed shark and rainbow.....

Ralphie126 said:
I'm planning to get a 55g tank and convict cichlids..., how many breeding pairs can go in their?....... Also maybe my red tailed shark and rainbow.....

I believe you can only have one, but someone else will have to chime in for that. As for the sharks, you have to choose one, they will be aggressive to each other.

I believe you can only have one, but someone else will have to chime in for that. As for the sharks, you have to choose one, they will be aggressive to each other.
55 gallon will be ok for one breeding pair,they may not even tolerate the shark when they are breeding or have free swimming fry.

Convicts breed every 3-4 weeks with up to 100+ eggs why on earth would you want two pairs, the fry are worthless and most people can't give them away?

So I'm better off with 2 females

Not necessarily. The females are quite aggressive as well and if they decide they don't like each other, one will be killed. I couldn't keep 2 females together in a 75 gallon.

If you want to breed fish in a 55 I have several pairs of Cryptoheros cutteri available. Much easier to get along with than convicts, and you'd have a better chance of unloading some of their offspring at your lfs. I currently have 3 actively breeding pairs in a 90 gallon tank with 6 little P. typus catfish to eat their fry. One other pair shares a 40 with a Carapo knife fish for the same reason.

Back
Top Bottom