Cichlid With Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KeeperOfFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would love to have a cichlids tank but I just don't have the room for three tanks and I have guppies in my freshwater tank and I love them so I don't want to get rid of them. I was wondering if there are any species of cichlids that can be housed with guppies. Thanks
p.s. it's a 40 gallon tank

Uh not really. If you got cichlid fry that might work but it will be risky.

I've kept them with rams, they'd probably be fine with apistos also.

I have also kept guppies in my shelldweller tank, although that tank was built around the shelldwellers so the guppies were kind of just a later add on.

jetajockey said:
I've kept them with rams, they'd probably be fine with apistos also.

I have also kept guppies in my shelldweller tank, although that tank was built around the shelldwellers so the guppies were kind of just a later add on.

Ok, thanks for your help!

You might get a few issues around spawning time, my Appistogramma Panduro get wild aggressive when it's spawning time - they will even attack the water syphon if it gets to close, it is kind of funny though.

Borderlesscott said:
You might get a few issues around spawning time, my Appistogramma Panduro get wild aggressive when it's spawning time - they will even attack the water syphon if it gets to close, it is kind of funny though.

I was thinking of only getting one, should I get a pair?

KeeperOfFish said:
I was thinking of only getting one, should I get a pair?

It depends, some appistogramma's require a group of females some do better with just a single female - a single male or female on their own should be fine, but you wouldn't get to see them in there full spawning colour. My female goes from nearly completely white with a bit of black to full on yellow and black when spawning, she does look lovely. The Panduro seems to chase of intruders and then return to the spawning spot very quickly, I've never actually seen them attack or bite another tank mate, but they are feisty for there size. I have heard other species are more aggressive but don't have hands on experience with them.

Borderlesscott said:
It depends, some appistogramma's require a group of females some do better with just a single female - a single male or female on their own should be fine, but you wouldn't get to see them in there full spawning colour. My female goes from nearly completely white with a bit of black to full on yellow and black when spawning, she does look lovely. The Panduro seems to chase of intruders and then return to the spawning spot very quickly, I've never actually seen them attack or bite another tank mate, but they are feisty for there size. I have heard other species are more aggressive but don't have hands on experience with them.

Hmm, I think I'll get a pair, male and female, I read that the Borelli are very peaceful. Thanks.

Yeah, Panduros are on a whole different level when it comes to apistos...I tried a pair and had to return them in less than a week because they were terrorizing everything in my tank! Even my male trifasciata who's usually a bully! lol Borelli can be a bit hard to find in my own experience, but I wish you luck!

Freakgecko91 said:
Yeah, Panduros are on a whole different level when it comes to apistos...I tried a pair and had to return them in less than a week because they were terrorizing everything in my tank! Even my male trifasciata who's usually a bully! lol Borelli can be a bit hard to find in my own experience, but I wish you luck!

Thank you, I'm going to see if my LFS can order a pair for me, if not then I have a website to order them from.

Back
Top Bottom