Cichlids and Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basefrog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I was thinking about getting a handfull of Yellow labs and didn't know whether to get some plants aswell. I have heard that cichlids have a habbit of tearing up plants.

If I can use plants which ones should I use/not use?

Maybe moss?

Thanks =)

The only plants that really work with malawi cichlids is anubias and java ferns anything else just gets torn to pieces.

Basefrog said:
Ok so I was thinking about getting a handfull of Yellow labs and didn't know whether to get some plants aswell. I have heard that cichlids have a habbit of tearing up plants.

If I can use plants which ones should I use/not use?

Maybe moss?

Thanks =)

Yellow Labs are very cool and quite easy to keep, as long as you only keep other peaceful Malawi Cichlids with them. What size is your tank?

They are indeed! I have been doing some research into them and background reading. I have a 30g tank. I know that it's not the ideal of 55g but it seems to be the minimum. Not actually got any stock yet but if I was to get Yellow Labs i'd get only 1 male and maybe 2 female.

Basefrog said:
They are indeed! I have been doing some research into them and background reading. I have a 30g tank. I know that it's not the ideal of 55g but it seems to be the minimum. Not actually got any stock yet but if I was to get Yellow Labs i'd get only 1 male and maybe 2 female.

Juveniles are very difficult to determine the gender. I would get the opinions of folks here on whether a 30 gallon is appropriate for 5" Yellow Labs. I guess I always thought the recommended minimum was closer to 50 gallon.

What other fish do you plan to put in there? There are several current posts similar to "what recommended Cichlids for a 30 gallon?" out there you might check out for some recommendations.

a few places say 30g.. This one says 25g (Which i must admit is too small for my liking) --> AquariumWiki

I don't plan on putting many, if any, other fish in the tank. Possibly a common pleco.

I also plan on over filtering it and doing weekly WC.

i think you would be fine with some yellow labs in a 30 gallon, they're not always as peaceful as people think though. mine keep up with my red zebras when it comes to aggression. 1 m to 3 f would be a good ratio, with good filtration i think you would be fine, but dont add any other fish, a common pleco would be a bad idea IMO, there bio load is huge even when they are smaller and you would eventually have to rehome it. MAYBE a BN pleco, it would be a better choice but with such a small tank size i would say just the yellow labs. make sure you have lots of rockwork and hiding spots.

BN = Bristle Nose?

Thanks for the advice! And yeah i'm planning this as a summer project. Will be making a DIY 'rock' background with lots of caves and shelter.

I think you'll be fine with a one male and two or three female in your 30 gallon. Problem is they are fairly territorial and, when they are young, hard to sex so you may end up buying a handful of juveniles and trading back your extras when you find your dominant male and two nice females. Although they are more peaceful mbuna, the males will fight hard to try to claim females and space. I've had to nurse back many a few #2 males after they tried to take on my big guy.

Stay away from the common pleco as mentioned earlier, BN is possible but not necessary.

...live plants are not a good idea either as I feed mine my trimmings from another tank lol they LOVE anacharis

Ok that's great! Shame my LFS don't buy back/exchange fish =(

Eek about plants. What about Java Moss? Grows like a weed and no real big leaves for them to much on. I suppose I could always try it out.

I found that they have destroyed every plant I tried in the tank...only surviver was a nana petite....

Stick to anubias. You'll notice the rest will be food. I just tried amazon swords and they didnt hold up long.

Back
Top Bottom