Cichlids at night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well as long as the African is bigger than the tiger. In my mixed tank the boss is the cobalt but after that it would be a tie with my tiger Oscar and black convict but I have setup 3 different worlds for them on one tank. One part stone cave. One part rocks plants hiding places all over. A lot of long plants so they can hide. But I have monitored them religiously when I mixed to make sure rhey all get along. I haven't lost one yet or seen major injury..I treat them great..I'm getting really deep into the hobby now that I'm the first customer almost at the lfs to get first dibs on the fish selections.. did u guys do that or do that now or is it just me..I goto every petsmart within 20 mile radius and get ones that r unique every weds

Ok, I'll be blunt; African rift lake cichlids should NOT be mixed with SA/CA cichlids. Eventually one type or another will suffer. They have different water and dietary needs. I'd suggest getting "deep into the hobby" and re-evaluating. Good luck with your fish.

i put 3 fry (1in) in with my new oscars. they are RZ fry and are in with a couple of 2 inch oscars (who are moving to a 75!!!) and have not been eaten. yet. they are purely feeders, but the wierd thing is how well they all get along. seriously, imo mixing them is luck and chance but u have to look at it as more how long will they survive in comparison to how good they look together.
the idea of getting an oscar is purely for personality. they are cute, funny and like a very wet dog :L

Ur mixing up my question..I asked about black electric cichlid ..I already know the dietary and eater parameters I know what I'm doing in that sense I just asked if anyone knee about this color morph thanks.

I wasn't mixing anything up, I was offering BASIC advice that apparently doesn't meet with your expected responses. "Black electric" is a terrible common name, but I suspect it's a malawi fish. Good luck to your fish. I hope they live at least a good portion of their typical lifespans in the conditions you offer.

To be honest, there is not much to debate here. HN1 has provided basic, but sound advice about not mixing African Rift Lake Cichlids and SA/CA's like an Oscar. This is generally accepted advice across the fish community and I don't see any valid argument that is based on anything but desire to own certain fish.

Oscar's do not need to be solitary fish, but housing them with other fish does require a tank larger than what the average hobbist has setup at their home. I don't know what size tank you are mixing Oscars, Convicts and Africans, but if its not above 100 Gallons, you'll likely have additional aggression problems, besides water conditions and diet.

Yes, you can have an unlikely success story of two generally incompatible fish getting along and living long lives together, but this is foolish and irresponsible. The whole "Unlikely success" means you'll more than likely be netting out some floating fish one morning.

Back
Top Bottom