Cichlids in Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefmonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if anyone has had experience keeping Central and/or South American Cichlids in an outdoor garden pond?

I'm planning to set up a pond and have no interest in keeping koi whatsoever. I have kept cichlids in tanks for years (mostly Malawians and Tanganyikans, but some neotropical species as well), and have successfully kept a pond with sailfin mollies in the past, and am looking for a new challenge.

I am planning a 200 gallon pond with about 12 fish in it, convicts, Jack Dempseys, etc. I live in Houston, TX, a subtropical climate, and I live intown, so I get the added benefit of living in an urban heat island.

Has anyone had experience like this they can share with me?

I would think that no one has had the experience, hence the reason for no responses. :?:

Also, it's always a good idea to "bump" a thread when you recieve no responses within a few hours.

I have no experience in ponds at all, but this is an idea I have thought about myself so I am curious as to whether this will work or not. I don't like Koi fish at all. :D

Its been done, especially in southern climes like your own...you will likely, however, find it necessary to heat your pond during the colder months, as you will not want it to drop below 77ºF.

theres some ponds with outdoor cichlids, but i think it might be harder. i think you need a heater too, but living in texas i dont think that youll need to worry about it freezing over. but then you also need to think about racoons and stuff. (dont know the stuff in texas) and also the runoffs from like farms and stuff that are contaminated. im pretty sure theres more though

Ive never lived somewhere so warm.. :mrgreen:
Being able to keep cichlids outside would just plain tempt me to start a full blown fish hattchery outside!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

We don't get a lot of weather even below 32 where I live, which is in-town Houston, so freezing solid is highly unlikely, and even a crust forming over the top doesn't happen all that often. As we do down here for our plants, if there is an overnight threat of frost, I would take measures to protect the fish. Even so, I still do agree that a heater is necessary to protect these tropical fish and just keep them comfortable if I want to keep them in the pond all winter. I know they are tropical fish, but I am also worried about them getting overheated during the summer. Our heat index can get into the 110s down here. How deep should I make the pond to protect them from overheating? Also, I intend to have a waterfall, which should cool the water somewhat. I'm thankful for our high humidity here for preventing excessive evaporative loss.

The runoff question left me thinking - not because of farm runoff since I live in the city, but I do worry about possible runoff of fertilizer and fireant killer from neighbors' yards, which might happen during the heavy rains we have periodically. It definitely will give me something to think about when I choose a site for the pond!

but living in texas i dont think that youll need to worry about it freezing over

I went to Houston, Texas during December and it was freezing like in the mid-20s. If I were you, I would definately make sure its heated.

oh i didnt mean dont get a heater, i meant like.. he wouldnt need a strong of one. just enough to keep it steady.

but like i said i know almost nothing about texas

That's pretty rare, but not so rare to not be prepared by having a heater. Plus, I would think even our mild winters would be chilly for a tropical species.

Yes it can be done. Kept Africans in a pond out doors in south FL. Standard aquarium submersible water heater will work for the cold months. Problem is keeping temps down in summer. Need shading to accomplish this and even then it can be a problem .

I dont know much about tropical fish, but i do know that a 3ft deep pond with little cover in full TX sun can get into the low 90's. For doing tropical fish outdoors, i know there is guy who runs a pet store in New Braunfels that keeps cichlids. I tried to find the name/number but i couldnt remember.

If you are worried about run off just make a nice big birm around the outside of the pond so that run off will run around your pond not in it.

I would think a heat exchanger would be cheapest to keep a pond warm.. but I might be thinking to big..
and as far as runnoff goes I would think your best insurance in that case would be to put it up hill from runoff.. even make a hill if you had to..

Back
Top Bottom