Cichlids or semi-aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allenbic

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been wondering back and forth from cichlids or tropical semi aggressive fish not sure which to do never had cichlids but like the variety and colors of them starting a new 125 gallon aquarium. I am using sand and have the fluval fx6 filter. Thanks in advance.

Pick up some juidichromis or nice looking lamprologus ..both like the bottom...and for mid swimmers..go with a hapochromis or aulonocara...there are many choices...but please remember..some dont play well with each other...i will be more then happy to help you out..

Pick up some juidichromis or nice looking lamprologus ..both like the bottom...and for mid swimmers..go with a hapochromis or aulonocara...there are many choices...but please remember..some dont play well with each other...i will be more then happy to help you out..

Thanks sounds good I will be getting ready to set up my new tank the week after next we are going on vacation next week and when I get back I will try for the first time to do a fish less cycle. I will take any advise you have this is a first for cichlids always have had semi aggressive

Thanks sounds good I will be getting ready to set up my new tank the week after next we are going on vacation next week and when I get back I will try for the first time to do a fish less cycle. I will take any advise you have this is a first for cichlids always have had semi aggressive

Is there a better way to contact you maybe thru email of something

Mixing tanganyikans and Malawi cichlids is not typically recommended due to varying temperaments. Not to mention that Malawi haps are typically predatory and many will predate on the small lamp species

That would be a difficult task for a hap. To kill a adult lamprologus or a adult julichromis...the hapochromis i refering too max out at 4 to 5 inches...if you would like i can show many pictures of my different tanks...i talk to this gentleman on the phone and gave excellent suggestions...about mixing african cichlids..

Maybe you never had lamprologus cylindricus or lamprologus luleupi....to name a few..i can assure you they hold there own just fine...with cover and structure on the bottom...i cant see any problems... lamprologus brichardi..nice pretty fish graceful swimmers....then look at the teeth...K.9 s...believe me they do fine together...in a nicest way...i would never suggest anything that would harm or cause any injuries...even death...if i was not 100 percent sure...sorry if i sound mean..

Maybe you never had lamprologus cylindricus or lamprologus luleupi....to name a few..i can assure you they hold there own just fine...with cover and structure on the bottom...i cant see any problems... lamprologus brichardi..nice pretty fish graceful swimmers....then look at the teeth...K.9 s...believe me they do fine together...in a nicest way...i would never suggest anything that would harm or cause any injuries...even death...if i was not 100 percent sure...sorry if i sound mean..

You listed genera/groups that enclose numerous species and didn't explain any of it.

Yes I have experience with lamp rock dwellers, as well as shellies. I still would not stick them with haps.

Iam refering to haps that are mature and will not grow pass five inches...in a nice way...i will be more then happy to give you a list....this is not a ten gallon tank we are talking about..and when you say shell dwellers...i think of lamprologus multifasciatus and gold occellatus ...fish that max out at 2 inches compare to other julies or lamprologus that will be 4 inches at adulthood...

Iam refering to haps that are mature and will not grow pass five inches...in a nice way...i will be more then happy to give you a list....this is not a ten gallon tank we are talking about..and when you say shell dwellers...i think of lamprologus multifasciatus and gold occellatus ...fish that max out at 2 inches compare to other julies or lamprologus that will be 4 inches at adulthood...

Dude, you're missing my point entirely....if you throw out genera, be specific. Most people on here are beginners. You need to spell it out for them. Not me. I know perfectly well what I am doing. You can't tell people to put lamps and haps together and then wonder why a beginner grabs a Dimidochromis compressiceps with neolamprologus similis and wonder why they all disappeared.

And I don't keep mid-top dwellers with my tangs (which I no longer keep). My multi colony were separated by lots of rock work, allowing for altolamprologus sp. sumbu white dwarf and a female spathodus erythrodon. Mid-top dwellers would have gotten thrashed by my old colony....

I am new at the cichlids I don't know all the different types yet I've read about them but am still learning. There is so much to know and learn about them I am excited to get into it but will need guidance.

I am new at the cichlids I don't know all the different types yet I've read about them but am still learning. There is so much to know and learn about them I am excited to get into it but will need guidance.

Being new to cichlids, I think it would be a good idea to find what you like first. Is it Africans or New World cichlids? Then zero in from there. I agree with staying with one lake, if you go with Africans. Check out Malawi, Tanganyikan, and Victorian. Start with one and grow from there as you learn and research.

I was looking into Africans. I was thinking Malawi or Tanganyikan just not sure yet.

Yes they have great colors was looking at them just have to learn which ones can go together and which can't. There is so much to learn. I have always had community fish and angels. I love sharks and eels too.

You can mix any peacocks together. Most Malawi haps would be okay, too. In a tank that size, a venustas would be okay. A juliochromis marlieri is an interesting tang I've had luck with in my Peacock tank, too. I wouldn't put mbuna with them. You may do okay with yellow labs or yellow-tail acei, but I wouldn't try. Not worth getting into the mbuna trap.

On thanks I just tested my tap water and it's ph is about 7.6.

Little low for that "optimal" African number, but it's not so low that I'd try to buffer it.

Back
Top Bottom