Circulation and pumps...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125 FOWLR but have an anenome, 2 clowns, 1 CBS Shrimp, 2 cleaners, 1 damsel, 1 regal tang. I have had the same setup for over a year and a half. My question is I have a mag 12 as a return from the sump into the tank. For circulation, I have 2 Via aqua 480's, a Via Aqua 1300 and a med size Via Aqua (dont know what size) all inside the main tank...they are mounted on the far left wall of the aquarium where the predrilled portion of the tank is. In other words they are all on one side of the tank....2 of them are blowing left to right and the other 2 are facing the front part of the tank....combined with the return, it creates a round the tank circulation in a big circle. i dont like the looks of the Via aquas any more so what do you guys recommend as far as placement (in my case) and how many powerheads do I need for a 125? i think I might have to many?? All of the pumps just seem to clutter up the tank.
Thanks

you can never have too much. you might think of getting like 4 mj 1200 that pump 260 gph and that will give you more flow. try hiding them with some live rock. that is what i did and now you can only see the top of one of them in the tank.

Yeah I think I will do away with the Via Aqua 1300 and replace it with a Maxijet and this will make it look a little better for sure...should I place the Maxijet at the top of the tank or be concerned about just water flow in general? Im tying to strategically place them in the middle and lower part of the tank to get circulation...or just having the pumps in there is enough?? Maybe placing them towards the top of the tank will work and look better too.

I don't think you will need as much flow as reef tanks because you don't have any corals. Fishs don't really need the current.

if you do not have good flow in a tank thm food with fall to the bottom and sit there and rase the tank levels. but if you have a ton of flow in a tank thm all the foo will stay in the water and get taken out by the filter

War
That was my thinking as well. I had rather have to much flow than not enough. Plus I have CC as a substrate so as long as I keep the stuff moving along and in the water flow, either it will get caught up in the filter or the crabs will find it....probably would any way!!! I am thinking of doing away with one of the Via Aquas and putting a maxi jet in its place

I guess having crush coral you would need more flow since it is known that CC substrate are nitrate traps

Back
Top Bottom