Cladophora algae and how to get rid of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlakRiot

Aquarium Advice Regular
My java moss came with cladophora algae entangled in it. I have been struggling to get rid of it. It hasn't grown much and hasn't seemed to spread. I bought 8 Japanese algae eating shrimp and they refuse to touch the stuff. I tried spot treating with excell before this. I did a salt dip and am scared to do a bleach dip for fear of killing the Java moss. What's worse, I can't seem to find more javamoss without the cladophora algae at any of my local fish stores. They likely have the same supplier and that supplier is had a cladophora problem. Any body have any suggestions before I throw the Java Moss out? I really don't want to throw it out but it's annoying and is slowly killing my java moss.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had cladophora real bad. I dosed metricide 14 at 1 ml per gallon at the advice of a senior member here and it killed it. The cladophora turns white and dies and then the fish eat it.

Since you have shrimp I am not sure of such a heavy dose. I have never kept shrimp.

So I ordered the metricide 14. Please tell me I can use it for more than just this treatment because that Is a large jug. Maybe I will try using it to clean my floors or something...

Some folks use it as a carbon source for plants. I bought a gallon ~3 years ago and still have some left. Similar to Seachem Excel but much more cost effective.
Be sure to toss the small activator bottle that is shipped with it. That stuff will make the Metricide 14 unusable (for the aquarium).

That is good to know thankyou

Back
Top Bottom