Clam lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ert0721

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can a clam be kept in a 45 gallon tank with a 6 bulb t5 fixture

You could probably get away with a squamosa or derasa that doesn't need as much lighting. A crocea or maxima is really questionable on the sand bed. They need a bit more light to thrive.

Can a clam be kept in a 45 gallon tank with a 6 bulb t5 fixture

They require quite a bit of light, if you haven't already purchased the fixture, you should go with LEDs.

So im kinda new in saltwater still but through my experiences iv actually had the best luck with them under t5s my metal halides seemed to bleach them out and kill them off even at the lowest point in the tank pcs were nver enough light iv nver tried leds though so that might b a way to go

Most LEDs are dimmable which will help when you acclimate them to your tank. Sps and clams thrive under them because of the par that is able to penetrate the water. The reason you are bleaching your corals under mh is prob because you are not acclimating them. Too much too fast is what is causing them to bleach.

So how can I acclimate better without being able to dim my lights? Shorter hours maybe?

So how can I acclimate better without being able to dim my lights? Shorter hours maybe?

Or block some of it with egg crate. I had to acclimate mine to a 250 mh from a 150 and that worked well for me. I had two on top of each other than about two weeks later I took one off. Then another two weeks I out a pain of glass to help just a bit more and no bleaching. LEDs are much easier. Just dial them down all the way and slowing increase by 5% a week. I'm all the way up to around 60% blues/45% white and my corals are loving it. I probably won't go all the way tho. Too much of anything is bad. I'm gonna stop around 65-70% and 50-55% white.

Back
Top Bottom