Clam question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been without power for 5 days now. The tanks are circulating water but I cannot run any lighting. I cannot remove the corals from the tank, but do you think if I put my clam in a shallow pan of water out in the sunshine it might keep it from dieing?

I think it may be a longshot, but if anyone has any ideas on this, please let me know. I won't be home until 5:30 tonight, but I might be able to get a couple hours of light on it before the rains come.

Thats a good question...I think it may be worth a shot at this point. The only possible issue I see would be the change in intensity and k between MH and direct sunlight (assuming you can put in an air stone or change the water in the pan periodically and watch the temp.). I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, any idea of when you'll have power?

2 concerns I see:
1. Temp (as MT79 mentioned)
2. Salinity. I think you'd need to have the container covered (with something transparent) so water isn't evaporating.

I may have missed something but wouldn't it be easier to rent a generator? Sorry if I'm being simplistic, I don't know the details of your situation.

It may be loud and ugly but heck, leave it in the garage or outside, somehow covered, and run an extension cord inside.

runway1 said:
I may have missed something but wouldn't it be easier to rent a generator? Sorry if I'm being simplistic, I don't know the details of your situation.

It may be loud and ugly but heck, leave it in the garage or outside, somehow covered, and run an extension cord inside.

public service announcment.....

do not run a generator covered up....
do not run a generator in the garage or anywhere indoors (no matter how well it is ventilated)

From there, she is in Louisiana, there are no generators for rent, and probably very few to buy.

She has one circulating water in the tanks already. Not enought juice/gas to run lights too.

I think that idea would work if the Temps were good outside.

generators do not run ac units, the heat from the lights would boil the tank contents.

I think it would be ok to put it outside, just make to put it in the largest bucket possible and keep up on top offs as often as you can. IMO it would have greater risk of dying w/o light vs. putting it outside.

Hara said:
generators do not run ac units, the heat from the lights would boil the tank contents.

it depends on the a/c unit and generator..

i.e. 2.5 ton needs atleast a 7kw generator or there abouts.

there is one locally that i can get 15kw for 4g, but have to plumb the natural gas and get someone to wire it to the house.

if these darn hurricanes persist, might be something to look at...

Yup ... I have an master electrician coming over this weekend to tell me the possibilities of that exact thing. I want a 15kw generator hooked directly to my house for emergency situations. It will cost a pretty penny to have done, but in the long run it could pay for itself.

I'm not sure about the clam thing, but I know many people are talking about these natural sunlight tanks ... putting your tank in a window that gets direct sunlight and the ones I have seen are thriving! I would imagine you'd be better off that way then with no lights at all!!

Good Luck and I hope your power comes back soon! I know how it is, last year when the hurricanes hit FL I was without power for 7 days THREE TIMES!!! Talk about IRRITATING. By the second night I was sleeping on the tile floor just to stay cool and the wifey was pregnant at the time so she stayed at her moms house!

most companies around here charge @12-17,000 for a 15kw generator fully installed...

you can find 15kw natural gas/LP/Diesel online for @3,000 delivered, you would just then have to provide the slab to sit it on, and have someone plumb the piping (if you didnt want to mess with it) and then have the electrician hook it up for you...

end result you can count on @ 5-6,000 at least from what I have priced thus far

If it wasnt for the fish tank, I'd have one now... lol

I have run a small window unit on a coleman Generator, closed all the doors to the room were the Tank was and that help us when Dennis came our way. Did not have one when Ivan hit, lost most of it to the high Temps. Good luck

bamaboy2go said:
I have run a small window unit on a coleman Generator, closed all the doors to the room were the Tank was and that help us when Dennis came our way. Did not have one when Ivan hit, lost most of it to the high Temps. Good luck

virtually a neighbor!

Back
Top Bottom