Clams!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carole2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone got a clam or two in their tank?
Saw them for sale in Pets@Home. Any advise anyone?
I've got a freshwater tank.

I looked into them once. You need a lot of current so they can feed--they don't move a whole lot, so the food needs to come to them, and you need a reasonably well established tank so it has the microfauna they eat or grind up food really fine, if I remember right.

My tank is a year old now, so is established, but a clam may be a bit tricky to feed, by the sound of it! I'd be afraid I may starve it if it can't get enough, and how would I know?
Maybe I shouldn't risk it. Pity, cos they look cool.

I recently did a small bit of research on clams, and the general concensous was to not bother. In most cases they simply starve to death over the course of a month or so. And because they bury in the substrate, when they die, you don't realize it and begin to foul the water.

I would suggest you do more research before trying.

HooKooDooKu said:
I recently did a small bit of research on clams, and the general concensous was to not bother. In most cases they simply starve to death over the course of a month or so. And because they bury in the substrate, when they die, you don't realize it and begin to foul the water.

I would suggest you do more research before trying.

Thanks. I definitely won,t get them then! Not getting anything else just yet anyway, not until I upgrade to the bigger tank. Thanks for the advise.

Back
Top Bottom