cleaner shrimp death??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefaddict

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my skunk cleaner shrimps died today. Yesterday one of them molted, but I don't know which one. The weird thing here is, both of the shrimp appear to have had their antenna cut short. You know how cleaner shrimp have six antenna. Four usually are kept out in front, and two longer ones that they keep facing backward. Well the four front ones and real short, almost looks like someone just cut them down with a scissors or something.??

I dont know what the deal is here, but has anyone else seen their cleaner shrimp antenna lose most of their length...and then die???

Thanks for any suggestions!!

My cleaner shrimp sometimes were short too, it even left with two antennas and 3 legs on one side and 1 leg on another when I bought it. But after it molts, all were back. The antennas were longer, and became 6, and all legs were back, 3 here 3 there.

Your shrimp may have had a molting problem which I remember reading somewhere can result in death. I don't think its that uncommon, although for 2 to die so close together.

What are your water parameters? First thing that comes to mind maybe your iodine is too low? Is there anything in the tank that may have picked on them? What else is in their? Were the shrimp getting along together?

NEED MORE INFO????

Andrew

Yeah it maybe low Iodine, but im thinking not. Its only a 20g, and I do regular water changes, so i should be able to maintain iodine levels with that alone. I also dose with B-Ionic.

There is only a clown and a damsel for fish in the tank, so I wouldn't think they were the culprit. The other shrimp is still alive and seems to be doing just fine. Im thinking they may have been fighting with each other, and clipped each others antenna and then one died from stress or something...oh well, no biggie.

BTW my water parameters are all fine, I pay meticulous attention to that, being that it is such a small tank for a reef.

Thanks for all the replies!!
-Mike

Im thinking they may have been fighting with each other, and clipped each others antenna and then one died from stress or something
Very possible and the reason I asked, the other shrimp may have been bothering the other during the molt, which over stressed him leading to a "bad molt".

I do regular water changes, so i should be able to maintain iodine levels with that alone. I also dose with B-Ionic

Do you do any tests for iodine in your system? Too much Iodine can cause more problems and increase some of the same problems that low iodine levels cause. If you don't already, I strongly suggest getting the iodine levels checked.

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom