Cleaner Shrimp Disappeared

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnkristie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Two days ago my cleaner shrimp vanished from the tank. Prior to that it had been extremely healthy, eating out of my hand and dancing all over the place. Then it just disappeared one day. I was wondering when they molt do they go into hiding and for how long? Is it possible one of my fish could have munched it? The shrimp was pretty big (2 inches). The only suspects could be my Passer Angel, Yellow Tang, Foxface, or Blood Shrimp that could have taken him.

I'll bet he is molting. Mine will disappear for a day or so sometimes.

No, they're not the only ones, but the others in my opinion are too small to have "taken out" a 2 inch shrimp. 3 Yellow Tail Damsels, 1 small Longnose hawkfish, 1 Royal Gramma. I guess they could have conspired together. :wink: I've got a 220 gal tank, so there's plenty of swimming space.

Cleaners are never too shy, even after molting. A FEW of the fish you listed would eat it, and yes once it's injured it becomes an all out attack.

I had two cleaner shrimp that were very active and amusing. They disappeared at the same time. The rest of the reef tank remained happy and healthy. Water tests perfect. Very stange.

It's been five days now since I've seen the cleaner, so I'm assuming it's been munched or died some other way. :cry: Still got my Blood Shrimp though. He seems to be a much tougher character. Maybe I'll get another Blood Shrimp.

My Hippo Tang mutilated my 3" coral banded shrimp!!!!!!... Saw it lost it's legs/pincers day by day till there was nothing left!!! ARrrGh!! :evil:

Back
Top Bottom