Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do cleaner shrimp tend to stay hidden all the time? We had one that would come out only when we were messing with the tank - moving rocks and such. We haven't seen her in a week - we call her Mia a.k.a. Missing in Action.
Is it possible she set up a cleaning station in the back and just doesn't come out any more? We miss our little shrimp and hope she hasn't gone to the big ocean in the sky. :(

What kind of cleaner shrimp is it? The skunk cleaner is about the only one that seems to be really visible, the others tend to behave just like you describe, although sometimes multiple shrimp will cause them to be more social.

I have 2 peppermint and a shunk. The shunk definitly comes out the most, but my peppermint come out quite often as well.

The peppermints (3 in total) come out during feeding time and just to see whats going on ever now and again. They tend to be wimps and skuttle back to whatever rock they're hiding under as soon as a fish comes near them. The skunk cleaner loves being out. He's one of our favorite guys because he's so visible, and of course watching him clean is the coolest thing ever. The fire shrimp is the biggest guy in the tank, but the biggest wimp also. He gets scared by the little guys every time. You should see the claws on this guy. Oh well. 8)

-Dan

The shrimp is a shunk cleaner. I also have 6 peppermints. Didn't see again today. Do you think I should get a couple more or will the cleaners join with the peppermints?

it might be molting, or it might be dead. Doubtful that you wouldn't see it for a week, not even at feeding time.

Bummer...None of my shrimp really come out at feeding time - they just eat whatever they find on the rocks at night. Although they have been known to steal the piece of fresh shrimp or salmon I give to my starfish.

:mrgreen: She's alive! :mrgreen:
Mia made a brief appearance today during dinner. My question now is should I get another skunk cleaner to keep her company or do you think she likes the peppermints?

or do you think she likes the peppermints?

Well the peppermints are pretty good with a little cocktail sauce
evillol.gif
..............., I would get the shrimp another of it's own kind. It may or may not have the effect of making it more visible, but it will almost definitely make it more comfortable.

if you keep 2 cleaners together one will start to carry eggs.

I would get another skunk. As alrmc4 mentioned, they will produce eggs regularly which are a great, free fish/coral food :D

I can just get another one, and they'll start producing eggs? Did I miss a day in biology? :? Do they switch sexes like clownfish? Can you tell the sexes apart?

Cleaner shrimp are hermaphrodites and any two will form a pair. If you watch closely, they will actually alternate who carries the eggs between clutches or sometimes both carry eggs at the same time. Very cool little animals :D

Thanks for the lesson. Very interesting! We just love our little cleaner - her/his antennas are the coolest!

Back
Top Bottom