Cleaning advice for cylinder tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rambo1224

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 5ft tall cylinder acrylic tank that has small access above. I have had a few fish die and basically had to let them sit at the bottom of the tank until they were eaten by the others. Do they make any type of vacuum hose etc. that I can slide down to the bottom and suck them up? thanks

You'll probably need a grabber. I think amazon has some long ones. About 3 foot long should do it.

You'll probably need a grabber. I think amazon has some long ones. About 3 foot long should do it.

Thanks, but a grabber wont work. As I said, there is not much room above the cylinder so I need something flexible that I can slide down and in between the reef. Almost like a vacuum hose that could suck it up.

What about a snake? The ones used for cleaning pipes? They have small grabbers. Just make sure to rinse afterwards.

What about a snake? The ones used for cleaning pipes? They have small grabbers. Just make sure to rinse afterwards.
Thanks! As long as its bendable so I can snake it down the side of the cylinder it may work. Anyone know where to but one of these (with a grabber).

Sometimes auto stores have flexible grabbers for Picking up the stupid bolt that always falls between the engine and somewhere else you can't reach. Maybe try Lordco or lowes

Yup pretty much! Lol

Cool looking thingamajig.

thanks for all the ideas, but it doesn't look like they make these claws longer than 36". I need more like 48" or so to get to the bottm of my tank. What about some kind of vacuum hose that I could snake to the area, turn on, suck up the body and turn off. Anybody done anything like that or know wher I could get something?

rambo1224 said:
thanks for all the ideas, but it doesn't look like they make these claws longer than 36". I need more like 48" or so to get to the bottm of my tank. What about some kind of vacuum hose that I could snake to the area, turn on, suck up the body and turn off. Anybody done anything like that or know wher I could get something?

You could get a large diameter flexible hose, any length you need, put a ball valve inline and use that as a siphon to suck something out. In the end it's not as useful of an idea as a grabber simply because it wouldn't be effective on large fish. Also, a grabber can maneuver or retrieve items that may fall to the bottom like a filter part or decoration. You'll run into other problems with long grabbers like ceiling clearance so the shortest one that can reach the bottom with the added length of your arm may be a better option than one that is the length of the tank height. Remember that tension must be applied to the grip end the whole time that the fish is being pulled out. May be difficult goth a four foot model.

An easy solution could be to simply attach (superglue) a fish hook to the end of a long PVC pipe. You could hook the dead fish and pull the guy right out. Done!

Back
Top Bottom