Cleaning driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codygregg

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best way to clean driftwood? The piece is to big to boil but I heard you can treat it with salt or bleach. Can anyone help me?

If you have a large cooler and the DW fits in it, then you can try that with very hot water. The cooler will retain the heat longer than the tub. You could place a rock or brick on the wood to help keep it submerged. I would not use bleach. Let is soak to release the tannins (water will most likely turn brownish). Change the water from time to time.

Also you could scrub it with a brush that was not used with chemicals with hot water or with salt as an abrasive and soak or rinse well afterwards.

Definitely dont use bleach it will soak into the wood. I put mine in the bath and over a week usong only the hot water, id empty and refill the bath until the water ran clear.

I heard u brush it well under hot water wear gloves and the hot water won't bother your hands that much then boil it after soak it in hot water till it is saturated and no color is coming out hope this helps also use natural drift wood not reptile as it contains added chemicals good luck

Back
Top Bottom