Cleaning filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Olga

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I have a 75-gal tank that cycled in November 2020. Since then I added 18 fish (10 and then in 3 weeks 8 more). In the beginning of January, I decided to clean my Cascade 1000 canister filter because I read you need to clean it once a month. I cleaned floss and rough sponge in the aquarium water and I left bio media alone (I didn't clean it at all) thinking that BB is primarily in the bio media. Somehow this has restarted my cycle! It's been more than a week now and my ammonia keeps on rising (it's a awful 8.0 now) and nitrite is 0.0, nitrate is 5.0. Ph is 7.4. I change 50% of water every day for the past week. I added "one and only" BB, zeolite to the filter, nothing helps. I lost my guppies and pleco. Tetras and mollies are hanging on because of AmmoLock. My question is: where did all BB go? It looks like it got completely wiped out. I am now afraid to touch the filter. I know I will have to eventually clean it again, but I don't want to repeat the same mistake again. Should I not clean it every month while the tank is still establishing (the first 4-5 months)? Also, should I vacuum the gravel while it's now cycling with fish-in? I am afraid that I will disturb BB in the gravel if I vacuum. And also should I keep on doing 50% water changes every day untill ammonia goes down? I lady at a local fish store (not a chain-store) told me not to change water for the next 3 weeks while it's cycling. I can't see how my fish can survive that.
Thank you.
And it's nerve-racking to have a fish-in cycling. I have nightmares about all my fish dying from ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom