Cleaning out Advice ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iforged

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey fish lover gang!
I'm in process of cleaning out my old freshwater fish tank right now, I took all fake decor out, and draining the water at this moment. (soo much crap stuck between all of the fake decor plants and rocks! pretty gross!!)

Anyways, What should i do to get my tank and that decor ready for the new equipment and new set up? I heard someone say it would be a good idea to run all the gravel and decor through boiled water (I assume when its still at its boiling point?) What about the tank glass? Should i clean it certain way?

Let me know asap please, I want to do it all today and get the tank ready tomorrow.

I'll be doing fishless cycle too this time around, so any advice would be appreciated as well =)

thanks gang!

Why are you doing such a thorough cleaning? Unless there was some kind of disease I would only suck out the gunk & keep as much BB as possible.

Water and maybe a little vinegar if the buildup is significant. As for the decor and gravel, water? I don't think you need to boil anything unless it's fresh out of a creek or something. Even if you had an ich outbreak air dry completely and clean it with water afterwards.

Why are you doing such a thorough cleaning? Unless there was some kind of disease I would only suck out the gunk & keep as much BB as possible.

Well because i had the tank running for over 3 months and my nitrogen cycle got messed up to the point where i couldnt fix it... plus i wanted to start over with diff set up, diff fish, and diff decor, adding live plants and live rocks and possibly a drift wood. This gave me that opportunity, so i went for it.

Water and maybe a little vinegar if the buildup is significant. As for the decor and gravel, water? I don't think you need to boil anything unless it's fresh out of a creek or something. Even if you had an ich outbreak air dry completely and clean it with water afterwards.

Well I washed everything in my tub with hot water, cleaned out gravel with water and ran the decor in boiled water for few minutes. The tank did go through a severe Ich outbreak right before i tore everything down. Never heard anything about adding a bit of vinegar, have you tried that personally?

I want to set everything up as new as possible. I dont care about keeping any good BB in anything because ill have a seeded media to start the new cycle. I want everything to be as clean as possible for me not to go into panic mode if i forget to clean something properly...

Well I washed everything in my tub with hot water, cleaned out gravel with water and ran the decor in boiled water for few minutes. The tank did go through a severe Ich outbreak right before i tore everything down. Never heard anything about adding a bit of vinegar, have you tried that personally?

I want to set everything up as new as possible. I dont care about keeping any good BB in anything because ill have a seeded media to start the new cycle. I want everything to be as clean as possible for me not to go into panic mode if i forget to clean something properly...

Yes, vinegar works well. Distilled white vinegar, you can soak stuff in it, scrub with it, just be sure to rinse really good.

Back
Top Bottom