Cleaning planted substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got some plants in the mail this weekend, and when I was planting them, I noticed just how dirty my substrate had gotten since my first round of planting 5-6 weeks ago. I started off with a half dozen small clumps (2-3 stems each) of argentine swords. When I stuck them in, there wasn't much for roots, so I haven't been cleaning the substrate to keep from disturbing them. When I started planting the new stuff yesterday, again, they didn't have much of a root system, so I had to really move around my substrate to hold them down. That's when I noticed just how dirty the gravel was, and also just how large the roots from the swords had gotten.

So my question is this: once the root system has really taken hold, can I vacuume the gravel like I would normally do if I didn't have plants? Would/should the roots hold the plant in place?

you can siphon maybe an inch above the substrate then lower until you start lifting the substrate, and once you do, raise the siphon a little. That way you get as much gunk out as possible without messing with the substrate.

I would vacuum the open substrate around the plants, not the rocks close to the plants if that makes since.

Back
Top Bottom