Cleaning planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El_diablo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Iv jus been looking on YouTube at heavily planted Dutch style tanks, now iv got a lightly planted tank but iv often wondered how would you clean such a heavily planted tank (gravel vacuuming) or do the plants feed on the fish poop so it's just a case of a simple water change with out vacuuming?

I never clean my substrate, I let anything on it act as nutrients to the sand/soil underlayer.

Thats how I do all my planted tanks, whether dense or minimal.

Really, that's the second time today I've read that.
I always figured stirring sand up would help, but in a well planted tank I guess the plants can handle it lol

Vacuuming a little bit in open areas is a good idea it's excessive nutrients and is just asking for algae to pillage through your aquarium, some is good a lot is bad, balance is a better key to over fertilizing

Source: 20 years of never laying eyes on algae

Also what's people views on moving decor to gravel vac like small caves and logs? Jus vac around them or take them out n vac where they were? I'm asking as when I move some of my decor it tends to release quite a bit of dirt?

I like that question. I have the same issue. I usually do a once a month cleaning and remove all stones and wood to vacuum entire tank. And weekly quick 5 minute job. Interesting to see what the people who have done this longer recommend.

El_diablo said:
Also what's people views on moving decor to gravel vac like small caves and logs? Jus vac around them or take them out n vac where they were? I'm asking as when I move some of my decor it tends to release quite a bit of dirt?

I just do a bit with weekly water change (in a lighter stocked tank) and every other weeks I take out everything and vaccum really good for growing out fish where feeding everyday multiple times (not plants though leave em in) if you do less vacuuming as a general rule do more water changes. Every tank and water condition will be different, studying and keeping a log book is really helpful to learn how your tank works and do cleaning accordingly, after a while you will just know when to do and never have to test unless something in the tank is changed like adding different or more stock, feeding more or less ect. Checking your tap water regularly will be more effective then checking the aquarium parameters if settled in

Back
Top Bottom