Cleaning Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fat_Penguin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off ... hello ^^.
My dad and I are planning on starting a saltwater tank. We have a 55g glass tank that previously had freshwater fish in it. My dad, being Mr. Clean, used Lime-a-Way to clean the tank before i noticed ... >.>; Will that be harmful to the inhabitants when we cycle and start the tank? We are planning to make a FOWLR. I couldnt find a list of ingredients on the bottle so i'm worried if some chemicals are 'left' behind even after rinsing out the tank a couple times. Any thoughts? Thanks. ^^

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle with live animals.

I bought a 55G at an auction that was a FW tank. I cleaned it with CLR. I haven't had any problems. I rinsed A LOT and let it ait out for a week or so. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, but I was new at the time. Just rinse, rinse and rinse.
looks like this is in it:
Citric acid 000077-92-9 <3.0
Hydroxyacetic acid 000079-14-1 <10.0
Sulfamic acid 005329-14-6 <7.5
No real metals, like copper, so you should be safe. Hopefully others will be of more assistance....

Thanks a bunch for the info ^^. My dad 'was' going to cycle with real fish before i started lurking on different sites/forums ... (thats how he did it when he was a kid >.>; ), however ive told him there are other ways to do it after doing some(or lots of ... head is still spinning >.>) research. Basically, im trying to start up the tank on my own with the advice comming from him and hopefully you guys ^^. Anyways, i guess i should go rinse it a couple more times to just ease my mind. Thanks again~

Back
Top Bottom