Cleaning stubborn calcium/lime on hand-me-down tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meanfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My parents gave me a 30-gal glass tank w/ all the fixins that they were going to get rid of in a garage sale. To make a long story short, they lost interest after a total crash and let the tank sit there and evaporate for a couple of months. No algae to speak of...at least nothing green, but there is a very stubborn ring of lime stains aroudn the top of the tank. I've scrubbed with white vinegar followed by first a razor blade, then a soft wire brush, all with seemingly no impact on the stain. Are there stronger products that can be used? How would I go about soaking the stains without buying 30 gal. of white vinegar and making my house smell like a pickle factory? All help is appreciated. Can't wait to get this thing goin!

:wave: Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

As long as the tank is empty, I would use Vinegar. You can use a 60/40 solution of vinegar and water, but as long as the tank is empty and you can take it outside and hose it off - REALLY WELL - when you're done cleaning it, you should be fine.

You can try products like CLR, or Lime-Away, but I just can't stress enough how thoroughly it has to be rinsed!

I have had the best luck with vinegar and a razor blade, myself, and some serious elbow grease, LOL.

I favor Lime-Away... the thick formula version.

I just got done cleaning an old tub that had years of lime/calcium deposits and that stuff really works. Have to use the thick formula version though... the spray was worthless. Use a hard bristle brush. Within a few applications it'll be gone for good! Then rinse x 100... hehe.

hth

I have had the best luck with vinegar and a razor blade, myself, and some serious elbow grease, LOL.

Major ditto on the elbow grease. I attacked my water deposit prob with straight white vinegar, a new scouring pad, and about 100+ jars of elbow grease.

Can I use Lime-Away on an already well established aquarium? There's a lot of junk stuck to the hood of my aquariums that I can't get off, so as long as I really wash Lime-Away off will I be able to use it?

You dont want to use any chemicals around your tank if it has fish in it.
Did you try th vinegar and water solution?

Have I used the water and vinegar solution? No. I've only ever used this aquarium friendly cleaner called "Safe & Easy" made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, INC. Is the vinegar and water solution safe for aquariums if I wash the hell outta the hood afterwards? Or am I good with what I already have to clean the aquarium and I should just scrub a little harder.

I have used the Safe and easy before( in fact I have some here somewhere) but it seems to just make it look like you got all the junk off but when it dries it's really still there.

The water and vinegar solution really seem to clean the gunk off and is aquarium safe.

Like you said just rinse rinse rinse when your done.
Hope this helps.

Any advice on what type of scouring pad I should use? I've tried a soft-bristle wire brush after the vinegar, but to no avail. The stain looks like I haven't even touched it.

Thank you oscarbreeder on your help, I'm glad to know there's something else out there. Now after reading meanfish's post I'm curious too about how to exactly use the vinegar-water solution. After this thread is all over I'm going straight to my aquarium hoods for some major cleaning.

Any advice on what type of scouring pad I should use?

I used one of those green rectangular ones. Doesn't really matter what brand, I guess. They're coarse, but not coarse enough to scratch glass

Elbow grease is a euphemism for hard work, as in flexing your arm so much with scrubbing that your elbow joint needs to be kept oiled, so to speak.

This concludes today's installment of Colloquialism Update.

Back
Top Bottom