Cleaning tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StuMcc99

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how long I should leave my tank before taking out and cleaning the gravel, I have black and white gravel and the white and the white ones are going orange. The tank has been set up for 3 months now.
Plus what's the best way to do it?

taking out all your gravel and washing it will most likely cause you to go through a mini-cycle which would be bad for you fish, the gravel should never leave the tank unless you are switching it out for something else.

and the gravel vacuums work very well, how big is your tank?

It's 125ltr, This is it

image-1576404085.jpg

What vacuum do you think I should get?

Attachments

• image-1653708786.jpg
    image-1653708786.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 67
for that size tank (google says its about 33 gallons?) i would suggest an aqueon water changer, since it will connect directly to the faucet so you dont have to haul buckets around, and as long as you have good water pressure it will vacuum the gravel very well. dont know the price for you since your in the UK however in the US it is about $30-$50 depending on were you buy.

if you dont want to go that route you can get a regular siphon vacuum but you will need a few 5 gallon buckets for this.

here are the ones i would suggest

Amazon.com: Aqueon 06231 Large Siphon Vacuum Aquarium Gravel Cleaner, 16-Inch: Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet: Pet Supplies

they both ship outside the US and i would recommend the second one ( the water changer) since it is only a few dollars more and makes doing water changes so much easier

I know, insanely expensive. I had a look too based on the above suggestions. No reason for it to cost that much. :(

I went to a LFS today and there are some cheaper ones for about £10-£15 might give one of them ago 1st

Get a 18" length of 2" PVC, some 5/8 vinyl hose, and a PVC to hose barb connector from your local hardware store. Get a 5 gallon bucket for water changes. Its not as convenient as using a python water changer, but it costs very little and is equally as effective.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom