Cleaning the filter and Nitrogen Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savlon123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi again,

I am really struggling to get our nitrogen cycle started, I am doing a fish in cycle and I am 2 weeks in and still no Nitrite. When can I expect to start to see our Nitrite levels start to rise?

We have Plenty of ammonia (keeping it at around 0.25ppm with frequent water changes and using prime).

Also, on my last visit to the pet shop the lady said I should be washing my filter every water change. Is this right?

And lastly, I just did a water change and unfortunately had to turn the filter off. When I turned it back on this cloud of particles came flying out and the tank now looks really cloudy - what is it and how do I fix it?

*sigh* I didn't think fish would be this hard :(

20g tank
5 Neon Tetra and Bristle nosed Cat fish
Using Prime and Stabilise
Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite and Nitrate - a big fat zero!

I think it is still too early to see any nitrite/nitrate. It has been a while since I did one from scratch but I believe it is more in the 4-6 week range. But as long as regular water changes are being performed then it should be fine.
I shut off my filters during water changes. Cloudiness upon restart is normal. Not sure if washing the media is necessary with every water change. If you do wash the media, then simply rinsing/shaking it water removed from a water change will be sufficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom