Cleaning up my 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CupcakeSmith

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm cleaning my 55 gallon tank back up and I am wanting help with stocking options. I do have a list of a few fish I am interested in
Jack Dempsey
Blue Rams
Black convicts
Angel fish
Cory fish
Longfin albino Pleco

What do y'all suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm cleaning my 55 gallon tank back up and I am wanting help with stocking options. I do have a list of a few fish I am interested in
Jack Dempsey
Blue Rams
Black convicts
Angel fish
Cory fish
Longfin albino Pleco

What do y'all suggest?

This is a list of a lot of very different fish.

Angels, Rams, And Cories can go together. They are pretty peaceful.

Convicts and Jack Dempsey are much much more aggressive. They cant go with the Angels, Rams, or Cories without killing them at some point. These are bigger fish and very territorial.

The Pleco could go with either, but if you like the long fin it shouldn't. Be involved with the Convicts or Jacks, as they might hurt its fins pretty badly.

What type of Pleco is it? I will assume it is a smaller variety, like Bristlenose. If it is a Common or a Sailfin it wont work. It will grow up to 18 inches long. A smaller variety is a must.

So if you want peaceful, i would suggest:

1x Angel Breeding Pair
2x Blue German Ram Breeding Pair
12-16x Some Type of Cory
1x Pleco

If you want aggressive:

1x Jack Dempsey
1x Convict of same sex
1x Pleco

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

This is a list of a lot of very different fish.

Angels, Rams, And Cories can go together. They are pretty peaceful.

Convicts and Jack Dempsey are much much more aggressive. They cant go with the Angels, Rams, or Cories without killing them at some point. These are bigger fish and very territorial.

The Pleco could go with either, but if you like the long fin it shouldn't. Be involved with the Convicts or Jacks, as they might hurt its fins pretty badly.

What type of Pleco is it? I will assume it is a smaller variety, like Bristlenose. If it is a Common or a Sailfin it wont work. It will grow up to 18 inches long. A smaller variety is a must.

So if you want peaceful, i would suggest:

1x Angel Breeding Pair
2x Blue German Ram Breeding Pair
12-16x Some Type of Cory
1x Pleco

If you want aggressive:

1x Jack Dempsey
1x Convict of same sex
1x Pleco

If I went the most aggressive route would there be any other fish I could add with that group? Or are there smaller cichlids I can group together? I am wanting to get a pretty colorful tank going I have a 18 month old and I think he is going to love it. The Pleco wold be of the smaller type doesn't get bigger then 5" I believe.

If I went the most aggressive route would there be any other fish I could add with that group? Or are there smaller cichlids I can group together? I am wanting to get a pretty colorful tank going I have a 18 month old and I think he is going to love it. The Pleco wold be of the smaller type doesn't get bigger then 5" I believe.

No the aggressive route doesn't allow for much in a 4ft tank, i have a 75 and when my fish are growing up i will be pushing the boundaries with what i will have in it.

If you're interested in color, you can go the Angel route. There are a good many fish that can go with them and you can still see the pecking order.

I would go:

2x Koi Angelfish
1x Pair/Trio of Breeding Cockatoo Cichlid (a type if Apistogramma)
~15x Rummynose OR Silvertip Tetra
10-12x Emerald Cory
5x Roseline Barbs

You could toss in a fancier Pleco as well. A Galaxy Pleco would be cool. This would make a wonderfully active and colorful tank that still shows the dominance system of the fish. Throw in some dark sand with a bunch of driftwood and then some big-leaf plants (i don't know anything about plants cant help you here, just know that they look amazing) and then you're set!

Back
Top Bottom