Clear slime turning black in my tank & sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Softie Guy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have been doing vitamin C dosing to help some zoas that have been affected by fungus that caused them to close up and die off. I am sad to say I got this infection from a zoa frag from my LFS. I doubt I will ever get a frag from them again. Anyway, I believe the vit C dosing has helped my zoas a great deal yet caused lots of clear slime in my main tank and sump. This may be a bacteria bloom; however, this stuff is starting to die off and leaving black stuff in my sand bed (top tank) and in my deep sand bed (bottom tank). It has been turning some sand and rock black or grayish. Has anyone encountered this before? Will this black stuff harm my tank? So far, my corals and fish look like they are OK for now. I just tested nitrates and phosphates. Both are zero; however, I am uncertain if they will stay that way. It has been a week since this stuff turned dark. I did a 5 gallon water change to get rid of a good bit of this dark stuff.

Back
Top Bottom