Clevers South American Biotope - 220g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There could have been something like a disease in the pond that the fish grew resistant to. If they have that disease, and you introduce them to a lake where the fish haven't been exposed to it there are issues. The fish in the lake haven't built up a resistance to the disease, and may die from it.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

well good thought. However I dont want them to just all die and they stock the lakes around here every year with fish. Wouldnt they be doing the same thing?

When they stock they are most likely getting the fish from the same source(s). I'm on a conservative committee and we stock the lake we maintain from 2 sources. A private fish farm and the state DNR, both of these we have been getting fish from for many years.
Because they stock the lakes by you from a controlled source I'd think the chance of a disease being introduced is lower than if someone took fish from one lake with a different stocking source to another. If your grandpa's pond was stocked by the same business that stocks the lake you plan on releasing the fish into the chance of spreading something goes down.

You could post on Craigslist or the classifieds here and see if anyone has a tank for them.

When they stock they are most likely getting the fish from the same source(s). I'm on a conservative committee and we stock the lake we maintain from 2 sources. A private fish farm and the state DNR, both of these we have been getting fish from for many years.
Because they stock the lakes by you from a controlled source I'd think the chance of a disease being introduced is lower than if someone took fish from one lake with a different stocking source to another. If your grandpa's pond was stocked by the same business that stocks the lake you plan on releasing the fish into the chance of spreading something goes down.

You could post on Craigslist or the classifieds here and see if anyone has a tank for them.

well I have no idea where his fish where stocked from Im sure he doesnt even remember I know hes added fish to it over the years from lakes around our area. Well I wouldnt want to hurt a well established lake for a few fish. not to sure what to do with them but ill see if anyone wants them. I know a guy who keeps big catfish from the river maybe he would like them in one of his catfish ponds.

Thats a good idea. you can also check google earth for other farm ponds, and see if the owners want the fish.

"Teacup" stingray is just a trade name, I'd be very weary. They often get large and all species will require a large footprint. I personally would not do a stingray, but that's just me. Also it limits your stock, like no plecos for example. They're cool, I just think they're best suited for a species only tank/pond

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

"Teacup" stingray is just a trade name, I'd be very weary. They often get large and all species will require a large footprint. I personally would not do a stingray, but that's just me. Also it limits your stock, like no plecos for example. They're cool, I just think they're best suited for a species only tank/pond

I know I just dont know the correct name for it. I do know that they only get 13" and that will work just fine in my tank

I know I just dont know the correct name for it. I do know that they only get 13" and that will work just fine in my tank

Might be more trouble than it's worth though... when I was younger I was hellbent on a freshwater stingray until I did a bunch of research. They're worse than discus when it comes to water quality and water changes. Expensive to feed and messy. Do tons of research on them (If you haven't already) and if you still want one... more power to ya.

Oh, and make SURE you know what kind it is because they can be challenging to tell apart and some get GIGANTIC.

Might be more trouble than it's worth though... when I was younger I was hellbent on a freshwater stingray until I did a bunch of research. They're worse than discus when it comes to water quality and water changes. Expensive to feed and messy. Do tons of research on them (If you haven't already) and if you still want one... more power to ya.

Oh, and make SURE you know what kind it is because they can be challenging to tell apart and some get GIGANTIC.

Will do, As far as water quality I have no concern. I would agree they arnt for a newb but I have been keeping saltwater fish and coral for years and they are 10x more sensitive then any discus. I was spending about 30$ a month on food for my saltwater tanks. I have a great tank setup for one. Tons of open space, soft sand, fish list that wont bother it. If theres one thing you learn with a reef tank its how to take care of sensitive fish and coral. I can handle the water quality without any issue at all that wouldnt be something I would even question.

Also make sure you get ones that have been quarantined and preemptively treated for common problems. Because they are scaleless and very sensitive, treating them can be a nightmare. And a LOT of them have some kind of problem that leads to their untimely demise, so better to pay more for properly pre-quarantined fish than lose a bunch of money on one that hasn't.

Also make sure you get ones that have been quarantined and preemptively treated for common problems. Because they are scaleless and very sensitive, treating them can be a nightmare. And a LOT of them have some kind of problem that leads to their untimely demise, so better to pay more for properly pre-quarantined fish than lose a bunch of money on one that hasn't.

I am aware of this. The good thing is my lfs that I will get it from QT's them before purchase.

Well I tested a few days ago and I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 nitrate so I brought the ammonia back up to 3ppm and the next day it was 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite so the tank is cycled...That was really fast.

I am going to pick up my Amazon sword mother colonies today so I will plant them tonight. That should give the tank some much needed texture and color. Hope to get my arowana on order so I can get a fish in there next week. I think I will just start with the Arowana and get him happy in the tank then start adding some of the other fish over time. I am nervous to add to much because of how fast the tank cycled.

Glad to hear it's finally cycled!

Caleb

I guess I thought it had only been set up 2 weeks but looked back at the thread and see that its been up for a few days short of a month.

I just got back from picking up the swords. They are Huge and really nice. Probably going to be 1.5 - 2ft wide and look to be 18-20" tall. I think Ill leave them in the pots for a week so that its easy to remove the dying leafs. I am assuming there will be some die off because they are not grown fully submerged. I have about 30 baby swords that came on it so I think I will trim them off and grow them out in my 30g and move them over as they get bigger. Will look cool I think to have a bunch of swords in the tank. I am also going to do the DIY root tabs because they will be planted in sand.

Planted my swords and thought I would post a picture of the completed scape. Now just to get some fish. I am happt with the way it came out. I feel like it looks clean and will really showcase the fish just as I wanted. I also wanted to leave a lot of open water/space Because Ill have some fish they really need that. Still on the hunt for all my fish because none of them are easy to find. I could probably find my royal pleco easy so I am sure that will be one of the first fish in there.

img_3303848_0_440f71bb845c781338054699efa2eac9.jpg

img_3303848_1_54993ed719d56d5d17254895a19e605b.jpg

img_3303848_2_363741a3f609bc47d222ed5b0d49b59f.jpg

Great thread btw! When I found my Geo at the pet store i felt like I won the lotto. I think growing-out an Arowana will be rewarding. As for the tea-colored water, it's the best. Too bad it goes away. Sincerely love the set up. You never know till you try. Good luck. I'll be following. Oh yeah, how do you keep an Arowana from jumping out?

Great thread btw! When I found my Geo at the pet store i felt like I won the lotto. I think growing-out an Arowana will be rewarding. As for the tea-colored water, it's the best. Too bad it goes away. Sincerely love the set up. You never know till you try. Good luck. I'll be following. Oh yeah, how do you keep an Arowana from jumping out?

I do like the Tea color water and you can add leafs to a bag in the sump that they sell to keep the water dark. they have all kinds of stuff that will add tanins to the water. thanks for the kind words. As for the Arowana you cant tell but on top I have screen lids that clip onto the brace that I made.

Well I got my first fish. I picked up my Royal Pleco. Hes about 4" so hes got a lot of growing to do but I would think he will like the tank.

Honestly the tank looks so cool kind of going for that in mine ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447387035.721521.jpg

Back
Top Bottom