Cloudish water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
On Sunday I performed my regular wc to my 55 gallon fw tank and a heavy duty glass cleaning. I changed my water conditioner from api stress coat plus to prime. Also I purchased some flourish excel to combat some hair algae. I added the prime as directed before adding my 25 gallons of water back into the tank. Then added the excel according to the directions. Since Monday I have been spot treating the algae once daily with excel. Last night I realized my tank water is getting kinda cloudy (which annoys me). Should I skip a day or 2 of the excel and just do a pwc today?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What are the parameters on the tank?
How much excel are you dosing?

A water change will almost never hurt, i would say go for it.

What are the parameters on the tank?
How much excel are you dosing?

A water change will almost never hurt, i would say go for it.

Nitrates -20
Ammonia -0
Nitrites-0
Ph -7
I initially dosed 1 capful for every 10g after a 40% wc, then 1 capful once daily. I use a oral syringe to spot treat which is 5 ml worth. What do you think maybe a 15% now and another 15% on Sunday?

Nitrates -20
Ammonia -0
Nitrites-0
Ph -7
I initially dosed 1 capful for every 10g after a 40% wc, then 1 capful once daily. I use a oral syringe to spot treat which is 5 ml worth. What do you think maybe a 15% now and another 15% on Sunday?

You dont need that high initial dose fwiw. Excel breaks down after about 12 hours.

It wouldnt hurt to do a water change, but id move that up to 25% at least.

You dont need that high initial dose fwiw. Excel breaks down after about 12 hours.

It wouldnt hurt to do a water change, but id move that up to 25% at least.

Why do the directions state to dose 1 capful/10g for the initial dose then? I'm so confused:what::banghead:

So you use it faster and they make more money.

Duh! That's what I tell people at the veterinary hospital were I work about otc dog and food feeding guides. If everyone followed those guides every dog/cat would be fat unless it's an agility/working dog. I just didn't think they would go so far as doing this to chemicals that are put into your aquarium.

Duh! That's what I tell people at the veterinary hospital were I work about otc dog and food feeding guides. If everyone followed those guides every dog/cat would be fat unless it's an agility/working dog. I just didn't think they would go so far as doing this to chemicals that are put into your aquarium.

Its super safe to use, you can dose 2ml of excel per gallon of tank size without complications.

On that note, check out metricide 14 day sterilizing solution. Its twice as concentrated as excel and costs about $20 per gallon online.

Ok, performed 25g wc and 6 hours later still cloudy. The only other thing I can think of is I started feeding a new food frozen called ocean nutrition:formula one. This food contains more veggies and can be fed to sw and fw fish. I mix a tiny bit of this food with Omega One blood worms and have done this for a 1 1/2 now.

The only other thing I can think of is I swished my filter and biomax from my C4 in some tank water during my wc on Sunday . It had been 2 months since I purchased the C4 and it was pretty dirty. Help!

Ok, here I am again my water will not clear up. I really need some help. I did a 40% wc yesterday, put my biomaxx in bio bags, added a polishing pad, bought a new decoration (the other one was old and afraid it may be leeching anything to make my water cloudy), gravel vacuumed under the decoration, pulled some my anacharius because some of them were dieing. Am I going through a bacterial bloom because I created a mini cycle. It is driving me crazy!

Back
Top Bottom