cloudy cycled crazy tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thomasina

Aquarium Advice Freak
Love my tank, but it is driving me crazy!
It has cycled. Last week it was diatoms, this week it is really dirty looking, hazy. I did a 20% water change on Sunday. All API test results are great: 20 g., pH 7. 0 ammon. 0 nitrites. 0 nitrates.
Well planted. However, it basically looks like someone just stirred up the whole place. See signature for what I have. Please---suggestions?

Love my tank, but it is driving me crazy!
It has cycled. Last week it was diatoms, this week it is really dirty looking, hazy. I did a 20% water change on Sunday. All API test results are great: 20 g., pH 7. 0 ammon. 0 nitrites. 0 nitrates.
Well planted. However, it basically looks like someone just stirred up the whole place. See signature for what I have. Please---suggestions?

Is it a white haze? Probably a bacterial bloom which is not uncommon with a newer tank. It'll clear up & isn't harmful. Make sure you're vacuuming good when you do your water changes. all of my tanks have had it happen & they cleared up within a week or two.

Thank you for answering. I have pea sized gravel with a few aquarium natural stones. I have a Bio filter, Penguin 100 and I feel stupid saying this, but I don't know if it has Carbon in it or not. My kids put it together for me. I do use Glut to give the plants Co2.

Is it a white haze? Probably a bacterial bloom which is not uncommon with a newer tank. It'll clear up & isn't harmful. Make sure you're vacuuming good when you do your water changes. all of my tanks have had it happen & they cleared up within a week or two.

Another BB? If I had to vacuum it good, I would have to really do a major water change. I am just worried about the fish being hurt. Thank you for your advise!

New tanks are always such a pain... So many things can go wrong and that's actually why so many people leave this hobby.

I would suggest figuring out if your filter has carbon and if not, get some bagged Purigen to put in there.

But if it's just bacteria, it could go away... New tanks are so confusing!

Another BB? If I had to vacuum it good, I would have to really do a major water change. I am just worried about the fish being hurt. Thank you for your advise!

Are you asking about haze being a BB? i guess so since its a bacterial bloom. :) So long as you're doing a good vacuum weekly with a water change you're good. I was just saying to make sure you vacuum well. I do weekly 50% water changes on my 46g & I vacuum the whole tank when I do. Some people do half the tank one week & the other half the next week.

New tanks are always such a pain... So many things can go wrong and that's actually why so many people leave this hobby.

I would suggest figuring out if your filter has carbon and if not, get some bagged Purigen to put in there.

But if it's just bacteria, it could go away... New tanks are so confusing!

I just looked, no carbon, and honestly, there is now where to put it! lol When you say to use Purigen, how much and what is it? Thanks!!

If you're using the standard insert for the penguin 100 (I think your size is "A"), the cartridge already is preloaded with carbon.

The cloudy water, if it's not coming from the substrate, is most likely due to a heterotrophic bacterial bloom. Feed less and increase the gravel vacs and all will be well in a week or so.

David

Don't despair new tanks take a few months to get balanced and all tanks go through many phases. What your expierencing is common so don't take it to heart.

Back
Top Bottom