Cloudy eye help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exteremecheddar123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all, I have a 30 g high tank. I had a JD about 5 in for a long time and a small convict and 2 African chiclids. So today, I went to go get more fish. I decided to get some More Africans in the store we were only gonna get 1 but the guy from LFS said if we buy more aggression will drop in the tank. After I acclimate them to the tank I realize one of my red peacock's eyes were cloudy and had white stuff on it. I just did a 10% water change today and my parameters are fine. How do I cure it because I have little experience with diseases. Here's a picture. Thanks ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387926886.744039.jpg

10%? I would without doubt up this to 30% weekly at a minimum, more IMO. Changing 3gallons of 30g is nowhere near enough. Besides the fact 30 gallons isnt big enough for africans of any kind except dwarf mbuna or shell dwellers and the fact its a tall makes it worse. Peacocks need a 4ft long tank, theyre open water swimmers and i imagine yours is only 2.5ft max. It doesnt make much difference that you only have a few fish, there still isnt enough room to stretch their fins without hitting glass.

Cloudy eyes are caused by bad water quality, alot of stress or nutritional deficiency. I whole heartedly recommend changing Much more water. It will usually clear up by itself aslong as the cause is addressed and if it doesnt treatment will be needed or your fish will become blind. In your case and based on your first post i have to put it down to water quality.

Last edited:
SORRY ITS 1/3 of the tank I can't do math. It wasn't my water that caused it I just got him today my water is fine. I wanted to know how to treat him

As he is new, he might have had something from wherever you got him. The best treatment for cloudy eye is water changes. Do an extra water change and make sure to add dechlorinator to the water.

As mentioned, the tank is not large enough for cichlids. Agression occurs when fish are stressed and don't have enough room in the tank for the fish. Depending on the tank conditions where he came from it might be caused by stress in that tank.

SORRY ITS 1/3 of the tank I can't do math. It wasn't my water that caused it I just got him today my water is fine. I wanted to know how to treat him

I see, sorry i thought you ment that you bought some fish and then noticed that your resident peacock had cloudy eyes. Its easy to treat with an anti bacterial medication but i would wait and see for a week, it should heal without the need for chemicals. Also if hes the only one and you have noway to seperate and QT him youre exposing the rest to unwanted chems.

Okay in a week I will reply on his condition if he survives because my original Africans are giving him a hard time for now. Anyways, thanks for your help! Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Yes well that will happen when new fish are added to an existing tank, some people move around the decor so new territories have to be established. Adding cichs in groups is a better option to stop individuals being overly bullied.

Depending on what your original 2 africans are the poor peacock could be having a harder time than usual, mbuna have been known to kill peacocks and new additions would definitely be feeling the brunt of it.

Keep on eye on him and merry christmas. Bahh humbug:)

Yea he died today :( there was like nothing I could do. I have to go back to the Gish store and get another one that is healthy. Thanks for your help!

I bought another 3 fish along with the dead peacock. There's this blue one and fins are tattered and has white string stuff coming off of him. What's wrong with him? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388079420.756968.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388079430.314868.jpg

Back
Top Bottom