cloudy tank still!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ryans-planted-tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have started my 2nd tank, and i have tried wood in this one as i have never used it before, i got myself 4 pieces of maple tree root from pets at home and left it to soak for two days, then placed it into my tank for three weeks before i added some fish, i read something that wood colours your waters? which is what i was hoping for, i wanted the tea colour as i want it to look natural, but its gone the tea colour but my waters are still very foggy after 3 months!! do i need to take the wood out and soak them again for longer? or if i leave them in and do reg water changes,will it go on its own?

please help!

daisytron said:
i have started my 2nd tank, and i have tried wood in this one as i have never used it before, i got myself 4 pieces of maple tree root from pets at home and left it to soak for two days, then placed it into my tank for three weeks before i added some fish, i read something that wood colours your waters? which is what i was hoping for, i wanted the tea colour as i want it to look natural, but its gone the tea colour but my waters are still very foggy after 3 months!! do i need to take the wood out and soak them again for longer? or if i leave them in and do reg water changes,will it go on its own?

please help!

I don't think it is the wood that is making your tank cloudy. Is the tank cycled? If not , it might be an ammonia spike and/or a bacteria bloom that's causing the cloudiness. What's your water parameters? We need more info to better help you.

i cycled it for 3 weeks before i added any fish, i have no idea what my parameters are, i havent invested in a test kit yet. i added alot of things from my previous tank which was running for a year, which i never had a problem with, could it be i transfered my fish to this tank to quickly ? that started a ammonia spike? if so whats the best thing to do from now on to tackle it?

daisytron said:
i cycled it for 3 weeks before i added any fish, i have no idea what my parameters are, i havent invested in a test kit yet. i added alot of things from my previous tank which was running for a year, which i never had a problem with, could it be i transfered my fish to this tank to quickly ? that started a ammonia spike? if so whats the best thing to do from now on to tackle it?

Did you do a fishless cycle? What "things" did you add from your other tank? The three weeks that you said you cycled your tank, were you adding ammonia to feed the essential bacteria that are on the things you added? If not, the bacteria might have died from lack of food? You need to invest on a test kit but don't get the strip test. Most people here recommend API master test kit.

You can only tell if your tank is cycled if your test shows 0ppm nitrite, 0ppm ammonia and traces of nitrates. Below 40ppm is ideal with nitrates. That's why you need to get a test kit. It'll mostly depend on that how much PWC you'll need to do. If I were you, I'll do a 50% PWC to at least bring down the bad levels and reduce the cloudiness. How's your fish doing? Are they acting different than usual?

yeah i did a fishless cycle and no i didnt add ammonia! i was adding api stress zyme and coat. i added 5 moss balls, a medium sized fake coral and handfull of plants, plus some gravel. i started with a powerhead pump 450lph with spraybar built into the lid with carbon and bioballs, but with it not clearing iv added a fluval u2 400lph as well, my fish seem to be going to get air from the top more than usual other than that i havent noticed anything different, my tank setup is on my profile.

Can anybody give her a link to the "Nitrogen Cycle" pls. I'm using my iPhone and I can't seem to figure out how to add a link.

Good job on ordering the master kit.

Hey Ryan, check my thread "cloudy tank after PWC" there's a lot of good info in there. I had the same problem.

daisytron said:
how do i do that ? what do i click on?

Check my profile and click the"threads that I started". I just started a few months ago and had a lot of questions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom