Cloudy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baldrics slug

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Had my tank for about 2 weeks and 6 danios in the tank for 8 days. For the past week the tank is cloudy. The fish appear to be fine and eating. I may have been over feeding but I think this is under control now.

First water test results (if I have read them correctly):

Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0.5 ppm
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0

110L tank
Filter 400Lph

Any suggestions?

Thanks

6 what? days or weeks!? If its days. Then it's not cycled and you really really need to read the articles I linked above.

Agreed. Cycling is made every month or so. Filters are exchanged every month also. Vacuuming is also done every month, or every other month depending on how you maintain your tank.

You want to cycle 25% of water every month or every 3 weeks. This should be done for about 3 or 4 cycles. That should clear up the water. If not you want to get some live plants

Agreed. Cycling is made every month or so.:blink::ermm: Filters are exchanged every month also.
:ermm:

What?! A tank should only cycle once! Not every month!! You should clean your filters in tank water from a water change to PREVENT causing a mini cycle. Also, Don't change your filter until it is falling apart. Never, never! rinse your filter cartridge in tap water it kills :bb: which you need.

Last edited:
You want to cycle 25% of water every month or every 3 weeks. This should be done for about 3 or 4 cycles. That should clear up the water. If not you want to get some live plants

Also, WC should be done weekly not monthly. This is important to replenish and maintain water quality.

Also, WC should be done weekly not monthly. This is important to replenish and maintain water quality.

I've been told alot of different stuff. I have a quit flow tank. When the filter turns a brownish I typically toss it. There is a bacteria catcher with my filter which I never touch

Sorry 6 days. I will read the article. Thank you for the link. I was advised by LFS to put the fish in after 6 days. There does appear o be lots of conflicting advice around. I have found this site to be the best in my limited (very) experience.

Yes I agree NEVER throw your filter out... even if its falling apart tear out half and replace the old part with a new one.

You shouldn't have any ammonia - I would do a 25-30% water change (after treating the tap water with tap safe or equivalent). That will dilute the ammonia you have. Then in 24hours check your ammonia levels. Do it again the next day to get your ammonia levels down to zero. You might be over feeding your fish? That's a common suspect for ammonia.

When doing a fish in cycle, try to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels at .25 or below.. If they go over do a 25-50% water change. Don't over feed and you'll be fine! Test the water daily! :) in my opinion.. It's pretty darn hard to keep your levels at 0 while cycling, so don't stress over not having perfect water! .25 and lower are okay during this stage.

Sorry 6 days. I will read the article. Thank you for the link. I was advised by LFS to put the fish in after 6 days. There does appear o be lots of conflicting advice around. I have found this site to be the best in my limited (very) experience.

No worries! Trust me. It happens all the time. Just remember the LFS is here to make money. We (the true hobbiest ) don't agree with their practices. But there is nothing we can really do except try and help you after the fact.

So, hear is what's going to happen. Your fish are going to create waste. The food they eat is going to be waste. All of this is going to become ammonia. Which will kill fish ect. The rest you will learn. Right now, ammonia is your worry. So, as said above WC's (water changes) are going to be a big part of your life for awhile. Like every three days if your lucky. Yes it's going to be work but if you ask questions and stick with it in the end. You will have a great tank of fish and be very proud of it!

Now, there is another way. Fish less cycles are IMO much easier on you but can be boring. If you can return the fish to the LFS and that's the big if. Then you can do a fish less cycle. Either way we are all here to help. Some of our methods are different. So you have to sometimes weigh the argument and do what's best for you!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom