Cloudy Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ah yes! I have a Python! I love my Python! I worked at Petsmart for a few months about a year ago and that's what we used to clean the tanks there & I had to get me one. I just wish I had the same water pressure coming out of my kitchen sink as the store did. I haven't tried an outside faucet yet. I'll try that this weekend. Thanks for the advice!

You are REALLY on the ball here. The AP Master Test Kit, not overstocking, Malaysian Driftwood soaking, the PYTHON....... :D Kudos to you!

OK. I did a 20% water change this past Saturday and plan to every Saturday from now on, but the cloud just keeps getting worse and worse. As you can see now, it's definitely a green cloud, not brown like I first thought. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• yucky_tank1.jpg
    yucky_tank1.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 15
  • yucky_tank2.jpg
    yucky_tank2.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 24
The ammonia and nitrite are at 0 ppm and the nitrate is at 5 ppm. I have reduced my lighting to 8 hrs, from 12. Should I reduce it even more?

Do you get any direct sunlight on that tank? How much light do you have? Do you have a phophate test kit?

when was the last time you cleaned your HOB and canisters filter media? The brown cloud sounds like muck from one of your filters.. do you syphon the gravel when you change the water, and what about the gravel under decorations?
you really should be doing water changes weekly unless you have a very low bioload and lots of plants.. HTH

There is no direct sunlight on the tank. The bulb I have in the light fixture is just a 32W aquarium light. I do not have a phosphate test.

ok.. I did miss the photo's..
that is greenwater..
I would suggest you check your tapwater for phosphates.. if you dont have them then overfeeding or lack of enough maintaince would have been the cause...
wrapping the tank to keep all light out is the normal treatment for this its called a blackout.. but.. that only cures the problem.. not the cause..
once the cause is found I would definatly consider a blackout..

I just changed all the media and cartridges and cleaned out the tubing about a week and a half ago. What do you mean by filter floss? Is that the blue stuff that comes on the cartridges I buy for my filter. I have that in both the canister and HOB filter. I do use a gravel vacuum and clean that ever week. I don't clean under the decorations every week, but I do at least ever 2 to 3 weeks. I've had this tank for almost a year, and I have only had this problem for the past 3 or 4 weeks. Every since I used an algeacide. I only used it for about a week and will never use it again.

I don't think it is my tap water, because I have a 29 gal that is crystal clear and I use the same water in it as in the 80 gal w/ the problem.

the algaecide killed off the plant algae that you can see, which was keeping the nutrients in check and not allowing the microscopic algaes to flourish. (I am probably not as scientifically correct as some would like me to be, but you get the idea). once you killed that off, then the other type can now run rampant. The nutrients must go somewhere...out of the tank with water changes, or into plant food by having live plants, or into hoards of microscopic life which ends up looking like "green water". This needs three things to grow, water, food, light. You obviously cannot take away the water. So take away the nutrients and the light.

Filter Floss

It's great at removing additional particle matter. However, since the issue is actually an algae bloom, you need to "blackout" the tank for a couple of weeks.

By using this method, you remove the light source that the algae is feeding on.

While the black out period is in effect, you should also do a few good water changes and reduce your fish feeding.

Can the blackout be harmful for the fish at all? This is probably a silly question, but will they be able to see the food when I do feed them. Should I still feed once a day, just less of it, or just feed every other day?

when you feed on a normal basis feed what they can eat in under a min. once a day... durring the blackout preiod I would only feed once every other day or so max..
when ist said block out the light.. its best to block it all out like with black plastic or heavy blankets.. and fish dont need to see food.. they normaly find it with smell or sencing it with there lateral line.. visabiltiy can be zero if there's food they will find it.. HTH

when you do turn the lights back on, be sure to start gradually. Ambient light in the room, on through the brightening of the day, then add the tank lights.

Back
Top Bottom