Cloudy water 12 days after cartridge change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon with mollys. I change the cartridge monthly and that was almost 2 weeks ago. I actually left it a bit longer this time because the water still looked crystal clear. However, as of a week or so, it's become cloudy. I do 25 percent water changes weekly, however, since the cloudiness I've done a little over 10 percent daily. The strips though give me a yellow/yellow reading for the ph/alkalinity. They are the usually strips I was using so the reading caught me off guard. The thing is, I have the drip test for the ph and it reads perfect kind of blue.

The only thing I did was add a sponge at the tip of the intake in an attempt to protect the fry. It seems the molly gives birth every 2 weeks, and I thought I might be able to save them. Well, my attempts were fruitless, since upon changing the cartridge I saw a few dead fry. Ironically, she let out a few more fry just last night and this morning I did not see them at all.

So should I just remove the filter sponge? Is this the reason for the cloudiness? The cartridge was changed around noon and I'm writing this before bed and I did not see any improvement.

The tank is getting cloudy at around the same time every month because it's trying to cycle and everytime you change the filter cartridge it resets this cycle. The fry are not dying from the filter being too strong(although this is very possible) there dying because there not as hardy as the grown fish. Read this link and it should tell you alot of what you need to know about cycling and how to do it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjACegQICxAC&usg=AOvVaw2j6Oh7Cp6zC6UD_TTXMil2

The sponge you added to the filter is a very helpful addition as it gives the tank more surface area to build beneficial bacteria. I clean my filter cartridge and the rest of the media I have in it every couple months, but this is only cause the water flow will slow and I have found cleaning the media makes it get back to normal flow. when cleaning the media only do it in water you just took out of your tank for a water change and do it gently.

At this point in your tanks life, dont mess with cleaning filtration though as it does not help with it.

Yes, changing your cartridge you are throwing all your beneficial bacteria down the drain. This will cause cloudy water. You need to stop changing your cartridge and cleaning your filter it too thoroughly as shown here., and the above information is very good.

Cloudy water information is here too.

You can make your cartridge filter a great filter by removing everything inside and just put as many plastic pot scrubbies inside. Never have to clean with a quick rinse in water for 6+ months and water will be clear.

Thanks. I think someone had mentioned the cycling before for the cloudiness and I forgot. It's still cloudy this morning. So there is no need to clean out the filter? I understand there is beneficial bacteria in there. Actually I see it on the filter when I take the cap off - I should not clean that out?

When I replace the cartridge, I add Prime detoxifier to the water. I also have the stress coat and quick start for the water changes as well.

Thanks. I think someone had mentioned the cycling before for the cloudiness and I forgot. It's still cloudy this morning. So there is no need to clean out the filter? I understand there is beneficial bacteria in there. Actually I see it on the filter when I take the cap off - I should not clean that out?

When I replace the cartridge, I add Prime detoxifier to the water. I also have the stress coat and quick start for the water changes as well.
All you see is that brown gunk which is your beneficial bacteria, so do not clean it out like the links say.

Are you using API Stress Coat +? Prime is just a simple deliminator like all water conditioners, nothing special.

Sounds like you have a HOB filter with cartridges. You need to get rid of those and just put as many simple plastic pot scrubbies in that filter and never worry about rinsing that media out for 6 months or so. Just read all the links embedded above.

Thanks again. I'm still knew to this and I still haven't figured out the dechlorinator stuff and I hate to waste my money. So once and for all - should I just stick with Prime? Or Stress coat? When I got my tank over the summer, the sales rep guy there gave me API stress coat and quick start for water changes - should I just stick to those?

I have a HOB filter, yes, and with the sales and things, I bought enough cartridges for the whole year. I had no idea of the plastic pot scrubbies - do you just rinse them out every six months you say and put them back in?

Thanks again. I'm still knew to this and I still haven't figured out the dechlorinator stuff and I hate to waste my money. So once and for all - should I just stick with Prime? Or Stress coat? When I got my tank over the summer, the sales rep guy there gave me API stress coat and quick start for water changes - should I just stick to those?

I have a HOB filter, yes, and with the sales and things, I bought enough cartridges for the whole year. I had no idea of the plastic pot scrubbies - do you just rinse them out every six months you say and put them back in?
Prime is just fine as a de chlorinator for the water. Stress Coat + is not good because is contains Aloe Vera which:

“Stress Coat” type products which have aloe vera as the active ingredient. Aloe vera gel is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar which rapidly degrades in an aquarium and causes bacterial blooms. One of these products, API StressCoat Natural, claims to neutralize chlorine. It cannot neutralize chlorine and several Facebook group posts have had whole tanks killed by using this product as a chlorine conditioner.
Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is used in “stress coat” products supposedly to aid in fish diseases and after a water change to sooth the fish. Aloe vera is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar. It coats the gills of the fish and interferes with oxygen exchange. It also rapidly depolymerizes, forming sugar in the aquarium water column. This sugar will give a bacterial outbreak in the water column. This bacterial outbreak will kill fish.

You don't need any Quick Start as it does nothing, but won't hurt anything except your wallet.

Pot scrubbies, you only need a quick rinse every 6+ months (depending on bioload) or so in tap/tank water for about 5 seconds only when the filter is running about 50% flow.

Prime is just fine as a de chlorinator for the water. Stress Coat + is not good because is contains Aloe Vera which:

“Stress Coat” type products which have aloe vera as the active ingredient. Aloe vera gel is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar which rapidly degrades in an aquarium and causes bacterial blooms. One of these products, API StressCoat Natural, claims to neutralize chlorine. It cannot neutralize chlorine and several Facebook group posts have had whole tanks killed by using this product as a chlorine conditioner.
Aloe Vera

Aloe vera is used in “stress coat” products supposedly to aid in fish diseases and after a water change to sooth the fish. Aloe vera is a polysaccharide, a polymerized sugar. It coats the gills of the fish and interferes with oxygen exchange. It also rapidly depolymerizes, forming sugar in the aquarium water column. This sugar will give a bacterial outbreak in the water column. This bacterial outbreak will kill fish.

You don't need any Quick Start as it does nothing, but won't hurt anything except your wallet.

Pot scrubbies, you only need a quick rinse every 6+ months (depending on bioload) or so in tap/tank water for about 5 seconds only when the filter is running about 50% flow.

I'll stick with Prime then. I had posed the same question on Amazon and the only answer given was by API reps who raved about its product. I was also going by the ratings on Amazon as well. But like I said, I was introduced to the Product by the sales reps at the pet stores, and I was getting different responses from each of the 3 pet stores in my area, which only confused me. The fish seemed to be fine with it. The only thing I noticed is their flashing every now and then, to which I would add a bit of stress coat and they would stop.

The water still remains a bit cloudy and without that pristine look to it. I guess it will take time? I didn't know about those sponges - something I'll look into when I finish my cartridges. It seems it'll be financially beneficial for me to do as well. The fry I thought we dead seem to be in there too, hiding. So I will keep that filter sponge there. I actually cut it in half to cover half the intake for better filtration as well.

Oh, what exactly do you mean by bio-load? The amount of waste produced by the fish?

Not discarding what anyone above said but it seems this has gotten way over complicated. Your tank is fine with the filtration it currently has (though more never hurts) and above people are giving their opinions on what works best not what is necessary. Just look into the links given above on cycling and learn as much as you can about how to do it. Your understanding of cycling a tank will lead to a better understanding of all the questions asked above (what chemicals should I use or what is x or y). prime is most commonly used for treating tap water and killing ammonia in tanks I do recommend it but any water conditioner works. I havent heard good things about artificial bacteria but personally (might not be perfect and this is an opinion) I use "seed bacteria" from aqua vitro. This might just be placebo talking but It has worked for me and I would recommend it. Remember these are all just opinions and all you need to know is readily available with simple google searches and the links above.

Not discarding what anyone above said but it seems this has gotten way over complicated. Your tank is fine with the filtration it currently has (though more never hurts) and above people are giving their opinions on what works best not what is necessary. Just look into the links given above on cycling and learn as much as you can about how to do it. Your understanding of cycling a tank will lead to a better understanding of all the questions asked above (what chemicals should I use or what is x or y). prime is most commonly used for treating tap water and killing ammonia in tanks I do recommend it but any water conditioner works. I havent heard good things about artificial bacteria but personally (might not be perfect and this is an opinion) I use "seed bacteria" from aqua vitro. This might just be placebo talking but It has worked for me and I would recommend it. Remember these are all just opinions and all you need to know is readily available with simple google searches and the links above.

Thanks for the info. I don't know why I find this cycling thing so complicated! Just curious - what do you think of this product https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07858QDH...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Thanks for the info. I don't know why I find this cycling thing so complicated! Just curious - what do you think of this product https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07858QDH...lja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
First, cycling and getting into keeping fish is alot more work than expected and alot to take in but it gets alot easier as you go on. just think you've come to the right place for opinions and help and this is making ur experience alot better. Second, I wouldn't know never seen any reviews on it. from reading the description it sounds like what your looking for tho. Again, just an opinion, but heres a link to what I've been using for years
https://drugsupplystore.com/product...1txZfsW39lMa8SQWvYSa4mxKxdUXANARoCx74QAvD_BwE

This is my personal preference and there might be better options (also I usually buy this from my LFS and looking at its online pricing is getting me pretty upset on how much extra I've been paying for not buying online).

Another way to get a good opinion is to go to ur LFS and ask someone who looks like they know what there doing for their opinion. In my book that's what LFS's are for, buying living things and experienced opinions.

Another way to make your fish happier, your tank look better, and ur cycle easier is buying live plants. don't worry about CO2 or substrates now, but you can't go wrong with anubias, java, or a moss ball.

All of them are snake oil and proved via science to do nothing except take money from your wallet. All you have to do is email the company for ANY scientific proof, government study, university papers that these products do what they say. If they did it would already be on their web site and none of them have anything. Make sure they supply documented evidence of their tests.

Are you in the process of trying to cycle your tank because this is the first time YOU have mentioned it.

I have the tank - 20 gallon that I upgraded to - since end of October. All I did this time around was change the cartridge and then was dealing with cloudy water since the cartridge change. And I believe I found the reason:

I had purchased this product https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-SafeSt...s&qid=1614095137&sprefix=tetra,aps,171&sr=8-2

when I upgraded to the 20 gallon, and was adding 5ml with every cartridge change. Well, I had 5ml left of the bottle, and added it just now hoping it will help. I noticed it made the water even more cloudy with its particles. I look and the expiration date on the bottle said "sell by 1/21"

It said sell by - not use by. Could this be the reason?

First, cycling and getting into keeping fish is alot more work than expected and alot to take in but it gets alot easier as you go on. just think you've come to the right place for opinions and help and this is making ur experience alot better. Second, I wouldn't know never seen any reviews on it. from reading the description it sounds like what your looking for tho. Again, just an opinion, but heres a link to what I've been using for years
https://drugsupplystore.com/product...1txZfsW39lMa8SQWvYSa4mxKxdUXANARoCx74QAvD_BwE

This is my personal preference and there might be better options (also I usually buy this from my LFS and looking at its online pricing is getting me pretty upset on how much extra I've been paying for not buying online).

Another way to get a good opinion is to go to ur LFS and ask someone who looks like they know what there doing for their opinion. In my book that's what LFS's are for, buying living things and experienced opinions.

Another way to make your fish happier, your tank look better, and ur cycle easier is buying live plants. don't worry about CO2 or substrates now, but you can't go wrong with anubias, java, or a moss ball.

I'll look into yours as well. I only have chain pet stores near me - three of them - and I can't say I'm being advised correctly based on the opinions of this board. I rushed into the hobby I suppose, without reading up on it. It really started over the summer, with the quarantine, and a friend who has one goldfish and told me about it. I didn't want goldfish after seeing freshwater fish, so after some attempts with guppies, I ended up liking molly fish.

I just bought a moss ball 12 days ago and so far so good. I want to buy 2 more - they are sold 9.99 ea by me.
See my above post and let me know what you think too. Thanks!

New Smell?

Well, things went from bad to worse. Last night I went to check on the tank and I started smelling what I can only describe as a synthetic plastic smell. I check this morning and the smell worsened and was emanating from the filter. I unplug it and clean it out. Saw one more fry in then. Put it back on. The water looked a bit better but still cloudy. Hours later I did 40 percent water change. It seems the smell was present as I was syphoning. Had to put a mask on. Looks slightly better but not pristine.

I think I just had to clean the filter. But why the smell? The only thing I could think of is the combo of conditioners I was adding to clear it - stress coat, tap conditioner, prime. I'll stick to one when I finish the api stuff I had.

So clean the filter every 4 or 5 months is what I figure.

Well, things went from bad to worse. Last night I went to check on the tank and I started smelling what I can only describe as a synthetic plastic smell. I check this morning and the smell worsened and was emanating from the filter. I unplug it and clean it out. Saw one more fry in then. Put it back on. The water looked a bit better but still cloudy. Hours later I did 40 percent water change. It seems the smell was present as I was syphoning. Had to put a mask on. Looks slightly better but not pristine.

I think I just had to clean the filter. But why the smell? The only thing I could think of is the combo of conditioners I was adding to clear it - stress coat, tap conditioner, prime. I'll stick to one when I finish the api stuff I had.

So clean the filter every 4 or 5 months is what I figure.
Are you sure the filter's motor isn't going out? The smell you're describing sounds like a burning motor to me. [emoji2368]

Are you sure the filter's motor isn't going out? The smell you're describing sounds like a burning motor to me. [emoji2368]

Well, the filter is still working. The water looks slightly better than before. And the filter is about 4 months old. I know what you mean, no it's not that kind of smell. I think it's more like a plastic sponge type smell - hard to describe. The smell seems to be going away too. But it's stuck in my nose that smell and I can't get rid of it!

Logic tells me if the motor was burnt the filter wouldn't work, yes? Plus I feel the smell was also in the water too. I feel I mixed too many things together. Luckily the fish are still alive.

Well in my experience, things with burnt motors will still run for some time.. but they are usually louder and stay smelly. So if the smell is fading and the filter is still filtering correctly, then you may be right about the chemicals. I would definitely quit using all of those and stick with a simple water conditioner when adding new water to the tank.
I am still new to this aquarium thing, so don't completely hold me to my word, but I am simply sharing what I would do if it were me. [emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom